Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250 XTP Recovery

Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default 250 XTP Recovery

Strangly Enough I have never Recovered a 250 XTP .452 Untill Yesturday.

This XTP was shot by my son with his Savage MLII 250 XTP VVN110 39 Grains.

Pretty Decent Mushroom. Have not had a chance to get to a scale to weigh it yet.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any idea as to the velocity of that load Edward? What was the shot distance and size deer was it recovered from. Where was the hit/wound track?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Any idea as to the velocity of that load Edward? What was the shot distance and size deer was it recovered from. Where was the hit/wound track?
2100 FPS Range was 60 yards. Deer was about 120lbs. Shot was shot through the chest angled to the rear and embedded in the rib cage where it was recovered.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow. It held together well for a short range/high velocity shot like that. I've never recovered one either, with all shots either high neck or mid-chest broadsides.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Wow. It held together well for a short range/high velocity shot like that. I've never recovered one either, with all shots either high neck or mid-chest broadsides.
Ditto.. Everyone I have seen have been all pass throughs.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
Ditto.. Everyone I have seen have been all pass throughs.
Ed,

Is it because they're traveling faster or their design or a little of both that modern saboted projectiles are recovered more often than lead? They must expand much more rapidly and expend their energy pretty much inside the animal. I don't shoot saboted bullets, but I've never recovered any lead ML projectile I've taken a deer with. I know a few people that have recovered round balls that were flattened and laying along the inside of the hide on the opposite side they were shot, but that's about it.

BPS
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullet looks pretty good. Kinda hard to tell exactly from the pics. Wash is off and weigh it, for kicks.

I think that sometimes it just happens. You might get 20 passthroughs, then have one that by all rights should have...but didn't. I've had it happen, both with ML and CF rifles. Not an issue with the bullet or load, it just happened. My .02 anyhow, fwiw. Now if you were finding every bullet not passing thru, or the majority...that would be an issue.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great piece of recovery on a rather not often seen projectile. My brother and now I have never recovered any of the Hornady 225grn FTX. He shoots them in a 50cal IL and I am now shooting them in my .460 S&W. What kind of powder charge was he using? My brother uses 110grn T7 with a Green Harvester Sabot.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Great piece of recovery on a rather not often seen projectile. My brother and now I have never recovered any of the Hornady 225grn FTX. He shoots them in a 50cal IL and I am now shooting them in my .460 S&W. What kind of powder charge was he using? My brother uses 110grn T7 with a Green Harvester Sabot.
Vihtavuori N110 39 Grains
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I had a chance to weigh the recovered bullet today. It weighs 210 grains.

Not bad. I would say we have found the threashold speed for that bullet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.