Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Doe down

Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Doe down

I made the switch this summer from T7 pellets to Blackhorn 209, but stayed with the 250gr TC Shockwaves unbonded yellow tip in the factory supplied black sabot with FED 209A primers. Been hunting with this setup in the Triumph and the opening weekend of muzzleloading season, I rushed a shot at a 10 point and shot under him. I immediatley reloaded the gun, without swabbing and it has been loaded ever since. I hunt in Southern Michigan and I simply put it in the case inside the garage after the hunt.

Last night I was sitting in a pop up blind when three deer came into the clearing at 45 yards. The stopped to nibble on a pumpkin, but were all lined up in a row. The lead and biggest doe finally turned and came down the trail towards my blind. She was quartering to me and stopped deciding what trail to take. I was hoping for a broadside shot, but if she went to my right, I would probably not see her again. I had a steady rest, put the crosshairs on the point of her shoulder and touched the gun off. I saw her mule kick through the scope and heard her crash almost immediatley after the shot. Blood trailing in the snow is easy, but she only went 15 - 20 yards. Bullet broke the front right shoulder, blew apart the heart and exited out the other side.

After hanging and taking the hide off the deer, I thought I would let the gun warm up and clean it in preparation for this weekends hunt. I dry patched the barrel two or three times and there was zero residue left, no crud ring and no corrosion. I decided to skip the Hoppe's and simply reload at that point. I did a full clean and drill bit of the breechplug. The only thing I noticed was it took more pressure then a fully cleaned gun to seat the sabot this time. Thanks for all the advice on making the switch. Hope to get 2 more this year and get the freezer full.
Attached Thumbnails Doe down-12-18-2013-deer.jpg  

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 12-19-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work! Too bad about the 10pt.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats. It's nice when everything comes together.

Good luck on the next two.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fantastic! Very pretty deer you harvested there. Good for you! Is that your first using Blackhorn 209? I got my first using it this year. I was happy all the money spent on it working up loads wasn't for nothing! I will certainly need to harvest quite a few more to recoup the money I have spent on it so far.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice harvest there. Lots of good eating with a doe like that. And I am glad to hear the load you mentioned worked so well for you. Congratulations on the doe and just consider, the buck was not meant to be.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations nice doe.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kathwacckkk

Way to go... CONGRATS!!! food in the freezer
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the Deer!, should be great tasting!!!, & nice write up, I am thinking about switching to BH & your write-up confirms it!!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's GRILLING TIME!!!!!

Congrats

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.