Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Meat vs. Horns (Revisited) >

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: If you could do only one of the three options, which would you choose.
Kill one really nice buck each year.
25.00%
Kill one modest buck and one mature doe each year.
46.43%
Kill one modest buck, one mature doe, and one yearling (button buck or doe) each year.
28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Wow! You go away for a few days and return to find that Grouse started a thread on button bucks that grew to seven pages in nothing flat.

I read the entire thing with great enjoyment and a few chuckles. Even had to pour a second Scotch. Maybe it was that second one that promped me to post a poll that will forever separate the meat hunters from the horn hunters.

Here are the rules.

Disregard all factors such as State game regulations, public land vs. private land, and deer density in the hunting area.

(By the way, I'm a meat hunter. After all, the original purpose of hunting is to put meat over the fire, isn't it?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I voted for this one: Kill one modest buck and one mature doe each year despite the fact it isn't completely true. You didn't have an option for 2 does which is what I would pick if it was offered. 2 does will feed me and my wife for the year and given the option that is what I normally do. I've got enough deer, elk and pronghorn racks gathering dust. Meat is what drives my hunting now, not head gear.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more the merrier to me!!!!!!

Kinda hard, living in a state that isn't know for real big bucks to change my stripes...

Plus, we are encouraged to kill more does and we do as we also farm...I typically kill 3-4 does for each buck...

I don't know how you fellows do it that lice in states that only allow one or two deer, draws would also drive me crazy....
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I chose 2. I love the meat and kill 2-4 each year, mostly all does. I kill a buck about every 4yrs maybe, so probably 8-12 does for each buck I shoot. I wish they would change the laws to reduce the number of bucks allowed where I hunt, so they could grow some. Seeing a real trophy is so rare in my areas. 3 per year is too many, imo.

Perfect for me would be the ability to kill 1 buck and 2-3 does each season.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

i'm a meat hunter who will take a nice buck if one shows up. Have passed up shots on fine bucks because retrieving them would have a real chore for several people. Could hunt til i croak and still never kill another deer with antlers as good as any of the three i killed in WV and MD many years ago.

Off Topic:

Horns are a very powerful thing. So far this season i have found the carcasses of three big bucks that were discarded after the horns were whacked off. One had been field dressed.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane

Honestly, i tried as hard as i could to select one of your provided choices. I tried and tried and tried. Am sincerely sorry i couldn't.

My dream season, and seasons thereafter, would have me be able to kill 3 spike, or fork horn bucks. Whenever i have a buck tag in my pocket, i use it to kill a fork horn, or a spike.

Myself, i hate killing does, but normally kill 3 or 4 every year. In my mind, killing 4 does, is equivalent to killing a jillion deer. So far this year, i have killed 3 doe, however, i really wish i could get a buck tag as easily as i can a doe tag.

Myself, i cannot tell the difference between a button buck, and a doe fawn, unless they are 10 feet away. When shooting does, i do my best to kill the largest deer in my view, so i get the most meat. Rarely, have i accidentally killed a fawn, of either sex.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wish you had an option to for Fill your tags. We get more tags then most and im sure others do to.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too voted for a modest buck and a mature doe. But I like to shoot my doe first for meat and then try and hold out for a good buck. If one doesn't show by Oct 31 then any legal buck is going to get my attention.
Also, I didn't post on Grouse's thread on button bucks but I might as well do so now. I will not intentionally shoot a button buck. But if it is late in the season and I haven't filled a tag and I see a legal deer I will attempt to harvest it.
Our late season is open or peep sights only so if its a button buck - so be it.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted for the second one, but I can't say that any of them quite fit. I'm ultimately a meat hunter and would be thrilled if I could fill my tag every year. I go out every year knowing there's a decent buck in the area. I have a general idea of his area and know he should be around. I hope to see him and would love to shoot a wall hanger. But I also know that there's been a couple years I haven't seen any deer. As soon as something walks out, buck or doe, that I can shoot, I will and I'll be thankful for the meat.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must say, it's refreshing to read these responses. There are times I get very frustrated hunting many, many hours and not finding a decent buck to fill a tag with. I spend too much time daydreaming of those guys in the midwest who see 30 to 40 deer a day.

I find great comfort in seeing I'm not alone. Some of you guys are struggling to see enough deer to fill your tags with just anything legal. I think many of us should be counting our blessings and realize that it could be worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.