Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Meat vs. Horns (Revisited) >

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: If you could do only one of the three options, which would you choose.
Kill one really nice buck each year.
25.00%
Kill one modest buck and one mature doe each year.
46.43%
Kill one modest buck, one mature doe, and one yearling (button buck or doe) each year.
28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not ashamed to admit I chose # 1.

I get a trophy and meat for the freezer. Ive found little difference in meat quality between the young and old. Plus, shooting mature bucks and no does allows the heard to build.

I don't shoot hen Mallards or hen Pheasants either. It's the same principle.

Now, I have shot does and will do it again but out of the selections, mine makes since to me.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I gotta say for me I hold out on a really good buck. I sit with my kids a lot and they will take the does they don't shoot small bucks either. Just trying to let some grow up in my area.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Wv made it good this year you could kill two deer a day. Two does or a buck and doe. So I killed the first one I seen. Then if it wasn't a buck I would hold out for one.

Last edited by Bbj270; 12-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for the freezer. A family of four takes care of a deer in pretty short order.

If a dandy buck comes along all the better but I don't hunt for the big boy's specifically.

HA
Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for the freezer as well. The less store-bought meat we have to buy, the better. I get super excited over a big pair of antlers, but that isn't why I do it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Spike

I hunt for meat, but if a nice rack is on top thats just an added bonus. I dont shoot young bucks though. If a doe or 10 pointer is sitting in front of me naturally the 10 pointer is down. I think its important to take the older does though for proper management and health of the herd.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I always shoot a nice doe during archery and hold out for a mature 4.5 or older buck. Doing so I have always had the meat I need in the freezer but have many times eaten buck tag soup. Doesn't bother me and will not shoot any buck just to keep from wasting money on a tag.
Actually was out last night and our muzzleloader season ends this Sunday. I had a nice 3-4 year old 10 point that would probably score 155-160 about 30yds from me and I let him walk. This deer will really be something next year and am hoping to meet him again.
I have been fortunate enough to have some great private land to hunt my whole life and can not see shooting a yearling or a young buck just for the sake of loosing money. We actually have a sprtsman bundle now that comes with a buck and two doe tags for a fair price. What I like is they changed the rules this year to allow you the option to shoot three doe with it. That way for people that don't want to loose money, if given the option can pass on a small buck and take a doe.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
I always shoot a nice doe during archery and hold out for a mature 4.5 or older buck. Doing so I have always had the meat I need in the freezer but have many times eaten buck tag soup. Doesn't bother me and will not shoot any buck just to keep from wasting money on a tag.
Actually was out last night and our muzzleloader season ends this Sunday. I had a nice 3-4 year old 10 point that would probably score 155-160 about 30yds from me and I let him walk. This deer will really be something next year and am hoping to meet him again.
I have been fortunate enough to have some great private land to hunt my whole life and can not see shooting a yearling or a young buck just for the sake of loosing money. We actually have a sprtsman bundle now that comes with a buck and two doe tags for a fair price. What I like is they changed the rules this year to allow you the option to shoot three doe with it. That way for people that don't want to loose money, if given the option can pass on a small buck and take a doe.
Yeah my stance may change if i was on private land. Not sure how much but I would definitely try to manage for larger deer or the largest deer herd i could make. One great thing about NC though is we have a lifetime license that is actually a lifetime license. You pay the fee once and every year they send you your tags. Only thing extra you need annually is duck stamps or if you want to buy more doe tags.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Boonechaser
You are lucky to live somewhere that allows you the opportunity to pass up what most will never see. You'd wait your whole life and probably still not even get a chance at one like that around here.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
You are lucky to live somewhere that allows you the opportunity to pass up what most will never see. You'd wait your whole life and probably still not even get a chance at one like that around here.
Believe me, I know how lucky I am. I have about 480 acres in Parke county, Indiana I have hunted for over 30yrs. I have friends that only have public land or they have to lease and I am so glad that I do not have to do that.
Damn leasing companies came through years ago and have made it all but impossible to find private land without having to sell your first born to do so.