Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Meat vs. Horns (Revisited) >

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: If you could do only one of the three options, which would you choose.
Kill one really nice buck each year.
25.00%
Kill one modest buck and one mature doe each year.
46.43%
Kill one modest buck, one mature doe, and one yearling (button buck or doe) each year.
28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Meat vs. Horns (Revisited)

Old 12-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer #2 on the list but we harvest based on numbers. This year numbers are low so we might not take any bucks at all. We have one last chance but i will be hunting a doe or two. I cant eat antlers and with low buck sightings, i would rather let a big mature buck walk atm.

I wont know for sure until we check the cams tomorrow and check the rubs/scrapes. I found lots of scrapes within range of my stand before opening day but they all appeared to be from a handful of small bucks. We had very few pics of any kind during legal hunting hours.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-16-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

With ten members on a 900 acre lease we've had about twenty cameras out since early September, and figured we had pictures of pretty much every buck on the lease. Then last week we got pictures of two new really nice bucks no one had ever seen before. They must be roaming looking for love.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
With ten members on a 900 acre lease we've had about twenty cameras out since early September, and figured we had pictures of pretty much every buck on the lease. Then last week we got pictures of two new really nice bucks no one had ever seen before. They must be roaming looking for love.
Bucks will move during the rut no doubt. There's a buck on another forum I'm on which has a very distinct rack. Two guys have pictures of him and they are over 10 miles apart. It's crazy to think about how much they move.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have 5-6 hunters on roughly 1000 acres and several prime spots to hold them here longer. A few of those spots are self imposed off limits to hunting. Like the pond and a couple food plots. Trails within 300 yards of the pond are also off limits and so is one well known bedding area. The only exception is for disabled hunts or culling sick/injured deer. One guy's father is pretty old and cant get around very well. He seldom hunts but we built a box stand just for him and for watching.

The closest neighbor with a lot of land does not hunt or allow hunting except small game and turkey. Bow and shotguns only too. He lets his cows roam every year during the firearms deer season for some reason too.

Our two bow hunters are the main trophy hunters and they get first crack every year. They also share every harvest with the rest of the group. They almost never bow hunt our area after the firearms season either. It works out ok but this year nice mature bucks are way down. Ive got some venison now but i would still like my own fat doe.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-16-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mule deer are worse, and elk are much worse at moving around.

Then there's black bear that might have a range of 50 miles.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, they roam big time. I know someone that killed a buck that was tagged by dnr...it had traveled over 30 miles. Crazy!

I just got a pic last week of a darn nice buck on my property. He's never been seen or photo'd before. I can only hope he shows in daylight before the season ends!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know it doesn't work that way.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You know it doesn't work that way.
LOL, I know. At least it gives me motivation to go out knowing there is at least a chance...
Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I just got a pic last week of a darn nice buck on my property. He's never been seen or photo'd before. I can only hope he shows in daylight before the season ends!
All it takes is one coyote or hunter busting him up out of his bed to make a very special day for someone else.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked option #2. I am primarily a meat hunter, but would not mind taking a really nice buck if it came along. 2 deer per year will feed my family, so I generally aim for that number.

I hunt on my family's land - 60 acres, and 2-3 guys hunt it each year. That doesn't sound like a lot of acreage, but the deer densities are very high in that area. We have averaged 7-8 deer per year taken off those 60 acres (since 2002) and the deer numbers are increasing if anything.

However, we don't get really nice bucks in our area. Part of it is due to diet - there is no agriculture in our area, so the deer subsist off of browse, crown vetch and acorns. Also, I suspect the proper genetics are lacking in our neck of the woods. A really nice buck for us in in the 120 - 135 range, maybe more towards the bottom of that range. We've taken maybe 2 or 3 bucks that size in 10 years. So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my situation to hold out for a true trophy buck - you'll be waiting til Judgement Day.

Plus, with only 60 acres, it doesn't make any sense to try any sort of quality deer management. We are surrounded by hundreds of acres of leased and private land where the locals blast anything that moves during gun season.

I actually prefer shooting either a 2.5 year old doe or a 1.5 year old buck many times - you get a decent amount of meat, but the meat is still tender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.