Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Good Morning!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking A Good Morning!!!

Well I got a late start and didn't get into my stand until 0645. I had just finished setting up my stand and about 0700 I heard something kicking a lot of leaves up behind me. I got up slowly with my gun and looked back and was surprised to see a beautiful buck about 40 yds. Now the area behind my club tree stand was very thick and I had no shot. I hoped he would walk a short way to a small opening but got a second surprise. A doe walked into that opening and had me lock in an eye to eye stare.

I couldn't move and hoped she would walk off slowly and the buck would follow. But she had other thoughts. She laid down. she stayed there for about 5 or 6 minutes and gets up. Again, I'm wishing she will walk off, but no she runs off!!! He runs after her.

Now I am feeling bad because this guy would have gone on my wall. Well that is why they calls this hobby we do hunting.

Just about 20 minutes later this 4 pt comes in at the same place as the first deer. I would have let him walk off, but he had three points on one side and only one small (1 1/2") point on the other side. I pulled the trigger on him to cull him from our herd.

I was shooting my CVA Apex with 300 gr XTP and 95 grs. of BH209

To finish this story, a young man about 15 shot that nice buck that was following the doe about two days later on a stand about 400 yds from my stand. I'm glad he got it, he is a great kid!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! That is what hunting is all about. Great hunt for you, great meat and the great attitude to match. To often you hear stories and meet hunters who are upset when a neighbor or fellow hunter tags a giant in your area. How was the damage with the XTP?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Rafsob
Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default nice

do you hunt in gloucester?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
Congrats! That is what hunting is all about. Great hunt for you, great meat and the great attitude to match. To often you hear stories and meet hunters who are upset when a neighbor or fellow hunter tags a giant in your area. How was the damage with the XTP?
I have been using this sabot for about ten years. I have yet to recover a bullet, but they do the work. A while back I tried to use the XTP Magnum bullet, but noticed what I believe was no expansion on deer! I am getting expansion with the standard XTP though. This guy had one lung and the lower portion of his heart destroyed.

At this time I have been using BH209 for two or three years now. Prior to this, I used Pyrodex RS substitute powder. I have not really noticed any difference in performance between the two.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by goneishn
do you hunt in gloucester?
Only once. I do live there though. My club property is in Charlotte county not far from Appomattox Courthouse, a place called Red House.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

That will be a good eating buck. BTW, he must have been looking for a date. I love his necktie!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That will be a good eating buck. BTW, he must have been looking for a date. I love his necktie!
He spent about a week in our cooler. When we do this, we will cut out the esophagus so it doesn't rot or attack bacteria.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

nice deer and looks like real good eating. Congratulations.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes I finally filled up the freezer (four). I check it now everyday to make sure it is running. I don't want to turn it off again!!!

This year isn't over yet,, but the deer count is a lot lower then last year. We are taking too many bucks and not enough does!!!

The rut was very late, last week of november. Don't know when I saw this before. Very weird season so far. Their food sources have been interrupted this year. We had no acorns this year. Only some pin oak acorns in the swamp areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.