Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting the GM LRH flinter >

Shooting the GM LRH flinter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the GM LRH flinter

Old 12-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting the GM LRH flinter

I've been procrastinating about sighting in the new Lyman 57 sight on the GM LRH .50 flintlock barrel for the past several months because I had so many other things on my plate. Then yesterday I realize that it wasn't done and needed to be sighted in ASAP because we are going to FL and won't be back until Dec 23. Then with Christmas and the late primitive season starting Dec 26 I'd be in a jam.
Well this morning I gathered all my gear to sight it in with the temps in the high teens. (Would have been nicer if I had sighted it in when the temps were in the 60s or 70s).
After getting it close at 25 yds I moved the target out to 50. After a couple of additional sight adjustments and the last 3 XTPs going into the 2" bull I decided it was close enough. I was shooting 100 gr of Goex FFg and a 300 gr XTP in Harvester green CR sabot.
The mark on the ramrod indicated that I was previously shooting 90 gr. with the open sights but I stayed with the 100 gr for now.
It really wasn't that bad. I guess the swabbing between shots had me moving around enough to keep me warm. But by the time I was done, my darn coffee was ice cold! Guess I should follow Semi's lead and take some scotch along!
Just joking - Semi saves that until he gets home and warms his bones by the fire.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

That is the same load more or less I shoot out of mine. I shoot 95 grains in the 28 inch barrel and 80 in the 21 inch barrel. Very nice shooting rifle barrels.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
That is the same load more or less I shoot out of mine. I shoot 95 grains in the 28 inch barrel and 80 in the 21 inch barrel. Very nice shooting rifle barrels.
Same here. I shoot 95 grains FFFg in my two 28" .50 caliber LRH barrels with the 300 grain XTPs. I'm using the .452s in Harvester short black sabots. I've never tried FFg in those barrels - something I have to try.

Bronko, I don't always have a Scotch back at camp (sometimes I have a Bourbon ).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=Semisane;4105998]Same here. I shoot 95 grains FFFg in my two 28" .50 caliber LRH barrels with the 300 grain XTPs. I'm using the .452s in Harvester short black sabots. I've never tried FFg in those barrels - something I have to try.

quote]

Semi - I will probably be trying FFFg ihe spring. But I was a little pressd for time. And I don't believe a deer will know the difference between FFg and FFFg.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

And I don't believe a deer will know the difference between FFg and FFFg.
You're right. The deer will not know the difference. But the gun might (or might not).

I have guns that don't seem to care whether it's FFg or FFFg. But a few have a clear preference for one or the other. The difference in group size is small and not enough to worry about for hunting. But it shows up consistently when punching paper.