Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
If it could go wrong it did go wrong!!! >

If it could go wrong it did go wrong!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

If it could go wrong it did go wrong!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill308

You never said what your rifle is. Myself, i have never experienced a hang fire in -0 temperature with Omega, or modified CVA. The Triumph did hang fire a couple of times, but it was brief, so brief one couldn't have backed away from the scope. However, i did fix that.

A good breech plug won't hang fire in sub zero temperatures, i don't think. Myself, i don't use magnum primers. Make CVA breech plug look like Omega breech plug, and they don't hang fire. QRBP modified, don't hang fire. The made for Blackhorn QRBP shouldn't hang fire, but i cannot say for sure, with out having ever using one.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Bill308

You never said what your rifle is. Myself, i have never experienced a hang fire in -0 temperature with Omega, or modified CVA. The Triumph did hang fire a couple of times, but it was brief, so brief one couldn't have backed away from the scope. However, i did fix that.

A good breech plug won't hang fire in sub zero temperatures, i don't think. Myself, i don't use magnum primers. Make CVA breech plug look like Omega breech plug, and they don't hang fire. QRBP modified, don't hang fire. The made for Blackhorn QRBP shouldn't hang fire, but i cannot say for sure, with out having ever using one.
Just shot my 2013 deer with BH209, Winchester Blue Primer at -2 degrees. The Knight Elite 45 cal with a Lehigh conversion had been loaded for 3 days.

Instant ignition.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

try RWS #11 caps, they have a hotter spark
RR
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Condensation is what got me, as long as I keep my barrel cold before loading it fires every time. I am using cci #11 magnum caps and have never had a problem with them.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Spike

ronlaughlin,

My rifle is a TC Omega with the older style breech plug that is supposed to be good for BH209. It apparently is good, because I've never had an issue with 100's of rounds. I must have had condensation. Or, maybe it wasn't completely dry from the day it rained.

It's good to know that cold alone isn't the issue. Some years the season has a lot of below zero weather.

Bill
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Condensation forms when going from cold to warm, and not warm to cold. I don't think loading a warm gun and then taking it into the cold will cause an issue.