HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Controlled Hunt Done (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/387860-controlled-hunt-done.html)

HuntAway 12-06-2013 06:09 AM

Controlled Hunt Done

We went 4 for 4 this year and were done by 230 Monday. My nephew got a 4 pointer, my brother-in-law a fawn and I got two doe's.

I had two first's this year. I got my first deer with a flintlock rifle. I've been at it for about 4 years and it finally happened. I also got my first deer with the Savage 220F. I just got this shotgun got it sighted in and took it hunting. I like it's performance.

We headed for the bush and were in our stands by 0630 AM. The weather was cool but above zero. I'd say around 5'C. The light was very flat and I had a hard time telling the lake from the sky line. The forecasted rain was holding off for now. This was a good thing because flintlocks and rain are like oil and water, not a good mix.

My nephew was set up in the front western stand. I was back by the lake at the eastern end of the bush. My B-I-L who was working came in by 0730 and took up the last stand in the front eastern part of the bush. Our final partner was our dogger.

The morning started with a ton of shots to the east. They were being fired in series of three. You could hear them going down the line. I think it was one or two deer and they were shooting poorly. Things quieted down and until I heard my B-I-L shoot. I heard the deer grunt a couple of times. I was sure it was a downed deer. smile.gif After a bit and unbeknownst to me, my B-I-L decided to go look for the deer he shot at. In doing so he pushed her in my direction. I gave her two blats to try and stop her. Neither worked so I picked a hole in the bush and touched off the .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Flintlock Rifle the moment her chest was in the hole. The ensuing flash from the priming powder and smoke from the muzzle obscured all sight of the deer. Not more than 2 minutes later I hear my nephew shoot. Well the deer I was shooting at must have made it up to him. sad.gif I was sure of my shot but started to second guess myself. wallbash.gif So I start scanning the area where I had last seen the deer I was shooting at. What do I see down in the scrub but a set of ears. I looked harder and there was my deer!!! :woot: My first flintlock deer was down and out.

Hmmmm, That must mean my nephew got one too! Maybe three deer down??? The dogger came through and let me know that there was my deer and my nephew's deer. I had got the one my B-I-L had wounded. Good deal to get a wounded deer.

So we get to tagging, pictures, gutting and dragging. Some how we didn't get pics of my nephews deer in the woods just mine. I need to talk to his father about that.

You can see where it was hit in the left rear knee. The .535 round ball I was shooting was a through and through just behind the shoulder. She dropped on my shot.

So we have the two deer out to the edge of the field and take a well deserved pop and snack. As we were standing around my B-I-L commented that we should keep an eye out cause deer just tend to show up when you least expect them.

Sure as heck don't two deer come flying across the field!!! :eek: Three of us grab our shotguns and wait for them to get closer. The first shot is fired and eight more follow suit. On my third shot at the lead deer I was sure it dropped to my shot. It was hard to tell as my nephew had shot just after me but I thought it was on it's way down when he shot.

So here we were, three guns, all empty and a deer out prancing around the field. No one had shells as they were in our coats and packs which just happened to be in the bush as we traveled light while dragging the deer out. Our dogger was collecting the gear, hearts and livers. All we could do was laugh as the second deer pranced around out in the field. Third deer down!

Sooooooooo, we finish up our lunch and head back into the stands for the rest of the day. It was to be a short sit. Within a half hour my B-I-L in the front stand again, filled our last tag.

When got the deer hung up and started the skinning, we found the slug from the doe in the field. It was a copper clad slug. I was shooting the 20 ga with Remington Accutips. every one else were using 12 ga rifled slugs. My first deer with the Savage was confirmed.

Recovered from doe shot at a lasered 152 yds.
3" Remington AccuTip 20 Ga

We let them hang Monday night and spent all day Tuesday cutting, wrapping and grinding.
The Shooters

Those 12 ga are hard on the deer. My .54 just left a hole in and out at 52 yds. Split the ribs going in and clipped one on the way out. No blood shot what so ever. The 20 ga we lost maybe 2 inches around the hole.

It was a good hunt with good friends and family!!! :party0005:

HA

WV Hunter 12-06-2013 06:17 AM

Nice work and good shootin! :D That one looks big

sabotloader 12-06-2013 06:28 AM

HA

Great hunting! It really is nice when everything works out so well!

TNHagies 12-06-2013 06:49 AM

Sounds like a great week! Congrats on your first flintlock kill!

pluckit 12-06-2013 07:24 AM

Congrats on your first flintlock kill!
I need to start taking my new flinter out to give it a try for a deer.

cayugad 12-06-2013 09:59 AM

Way to make that flintlock bark!! A .54 ball is a deadly killer. And that is some fine shooting for a shotgun slug. Looks like a lot of good venison.

HuntAway 12-06-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks fella's. It was really nice to get one with the flintlock. I've been at it for a while now.

Now if everything works out.....a bear next fall would top it off!!! :D

HA