HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Here's the story on that buck in the tree. With a little something I forgot about. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/387838-heres-story-buck-tree-little-something-i-forgot-about.html)

pluckit 12-05-2013 12:05 PM

Here's the story on that buck in the tree. With a little something I forgot about.

Weapon: Knight Vision (Old Model)
Powder: 80 grains Blackhorn 209
Bullet: .44 cal. 240 grain Hornady XTP
Sabot: Green MMP .50/.44 cal. Primer: Remington STS 209 Shotgun Primer with rubber O-ring installed in primer pocket
Distance: About 70 yards
Size: 8 pointer, 100 pounds field dressed

I was hunting on opening firearms day today with a good friend of mine. He had yet to take a deer this year and has spent a lot of effort getting his .54 cal. flint lock to shoot. So In an effort to help him harvest a deer I let him take what I thought to be the best spot on the property we were hunting. At this spot you sit with your back to a small stream. I was About 200 yards away on a ridge overlooking a small ravine. About an hour before dark I got restless and got up from the log I was sitting on only to see a doe 40 yards away that seemed like she had been standing there watching me. Needless to say see took off so I thought I might try to spook her down to my friend. Before I got 50 yards I heard my friend shoot so I turned around and headed back to the ridge to follow the easiest route to get to where he was sitting so I could find out if he had gotten anything. No sooner than I get to the ridge overlooking the ravine, only about 30 yards from where I was sitting earlier, do I see this eight pointer run up and stop down in the ravine. When he stops he turns to look back in the direction he came from, so I raise the Vision, take aim through the scope, and squeeze the trigger. The deer turns back around and runs 20 yards and piles up behind a big pile of sticks and branches. I couldn't see him but I was sure I nailed him. My friend walks up 3 minutes later and I told him I got him. I just had a strong feeling it was the same deer he was shooting at a few minutes earlier. It was. He said he had been grunting with my grunt tube and this 8 pointer came swimming up the stream and got out not too far from him. He said he rushed the shot and missed. The rest is history. Needless to say, I didn't miss.
I am a terrible story teller due to my ability to remember anymore.
I forgot to say that as we were splitting up that morning I handed him my grunt tube and told him that he should use it and that I have had lots of success with it over the years. He told me he didn't know how to use it so I gave him a quick lesson and we split up to head to our spots. He tells me when we first met, after I shot the deer, that he had been grunting with my grunt call and the 8 point I shot came swimming across the creek right towards him. He said he had to adjust his position in the chair he was in to get a shot and the chair made a noise that spooked the buck. That's why he had rushed the shot. He firmly believes the buck came to him because he was calling with a grunt tube.
Needless to say, he went out the next day and bought a grunt tube.

WV Hunter 12-05-2013 12:36 PM

Thats a nice one pluckit! Congrats :D

Semisane 12-05-2013 01:09 PM

Neat story Pluckit. It seems you were rewarded for trying to help a buddy. :wink:

gregrn43 12-05-2013 01:15 PM

Very nice buck congratulations.

1874sharpsshooter 12-05-2013 02:53 PM

Very nice deer . Congratulations . Enjoy the feast .
Yesterday we had venison enchiladas, today spaghetti with venison in the sauce, lots of jerky and jalapeņo summer sausage . Tonight venison stir fry . I love deer season:barmy::barmy:

redgreen 12-05-2013 03:01 PM

Congrats on the coal burner buck.

hubby11 12-05-2013 04:21 PM

Very nice!! So you gave him the deer, right??:party0005:

TNHagies 12-05-2013 05:09 PM

That's a cool story you'll keep with you for the rest of your life.

While I have never killed a deer a hunting partner has shot at, it's always been a fear of mine. I did have somone kill a buck I chose not to shoot at one morning. You always have that 'what if' thought in your head but he was tickled pink and it proudly hangs on his wall now.

cayugad 12-05-2013 05:37 PM

very good report and pictures.. thanks

bronko22000 12-06-2013 04:52 AM

Very nice buck. You did well. NOw I hope your friend connects.