Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic winter Storm >

Off Topic winter Storm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic winter Storm

Old 12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off Topic winter Storm

The weatherman is calling for a major ice storm here in northern Arkansas. 1-3 inches of freezing rain mixed with sleet and then snow after that. I remember the one in 09 all to well. We were out of power for over two weeks. Gonna head up to the cabin in the morning to retrieve my generator and some small propane bottles, none to be had anywhere around here. This is some crazy weather we have had here the last few years. That big ice storm in 09 and last 16 inches of snow Christmas night. This is Arkansas not Wisconsin or Michigan. I sure hope the weatherman misses this one.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Good luck and glad you got a generator. He didn't miss it for us . Blizzard today ,-35 wind chill tonight and its suppose to be below zero for the next 5 days . About -20 wind chill all day today . Just plain miserable when you got to go out . Good luck

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Good luck and glad you got a generator. He didn't miss it for us . Blizzard today ,-35 wind chill tonight and its suppose to be below zero for the next 5 days . About -20 wind chill all day today . Just plain miserable when you got to go out . Good luck
Dang thats cold. Where you live?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

It started snowing yesterday and has not stopped. Maybe fourteen inches is all so far. Northern Minnesota on the north shore had 24 inches near Two Harbors where my Uncle lives. We are more South Shore effected here in Northern Wisconsin. When the snow comes off Lake Superior, we can really get dumped on. But the snow is supposed to stop tomorrow some time. And then bitter cold and wind for five days or so.

My new steel roof sure works good, The back roof cleared itself already. Really made a crash when the snow came off.

Another thing I always stock up on when I suspect the power might go out is water. I fill all my 5 gallon water jugs. Its amazing, once the power is out, you need water to drink and flush toilets. .

Good luck with ice storms. I'd much rather have snow then ice storms any day.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

We got a medium amount of snow here in Cheyenne, WY, but the tough issue is the cold. It's -6 here now. High today was 1 degree. This is not celcius I'm talking about.

I just got a wind chill warning for our area. It says that people and animals should not be outside tomorrow or get frostbite.

Last edited by DJfan; 12-04-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's been snowing two days straight here too. No sign of let up yet.

Where's that global warming hiding?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys, it's 9:02 p.m. and my patio thermometer says 72°.

But it will be cooler for the Saturday hunt. Thunder storms predicted Friday as a front moves through, with a daytime high of 74° and a low Friday night of 37°.

Back up to 50° for the Saturday hunt - with showers. I guess I'll be sitting in a box stand rather than one of my high chair stands.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-04-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Spike

GREGRN43, I don't think this one is going to miss us , That is why I got the generator out an changed the oil and filled up with new gas. This time we will be a little better prepared. In 09 we were like you 18 days with out power.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like the major ice/snow storm will miss our area. It will be very cold for a few days.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is -10 here right now. Not a single cloud to be seen anywhere in the pre dawn. Not a breath of wind. What a beautiful morning. Later the wind will begin, and depending where one goes to hunt, the wind chill will be -20, or -45, or........ The hunter should walk into the breeze, however this causes faces to freeze, so then what???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.