Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Black Diamond

Old 11-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C Black Diamond

My son just bought a used 50 cal. stainless Black Diamond. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

I had one about 7 years ago. Mind had to be cleaned immediately as it would rust at the drop of a hat. It didn't shoot bad but it felt a little awkward compared to my encore. Trigger was not smooth, pain to get primers on and off with my scope, breech plug is a pain to remove with a scope. Not a bad gun for the price but I was glad once I made the upgrade.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Flyinlowe. Not all sweetness with this gun. Hopefully, being stainless will help with the rusting part. His has a scope too, so he will have to live with those issues. I did read elsewhere that they were supposed to be accurate, but I suspect that depends on the individual rifle and what it is being fed. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The TC Black Diamond is a fine gun. i've owned two Black Diamond guns, both .50 caliber. They are as accurate as any muzzleloder out there. Both of mine had good triggers right out of the box, better than that on my Encore or my CVA guns.

Yep, the Black Diamond is a dirty gun; it's a slam fire with an open breech. The crud is compounded by the Flame Thrower nipples that TC used on those guns. The nipple has three flash holes that allow lots of crud into the breech. Use a plain old #11 cap nipple and the gun stays much cleaner.

The Black Diamond breech plug is very easy to remove from a scoped gun when you use the right tool. A long 1/4" extension, a socket and ratchet do the trick. Neither of my guns ever rusted.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son will be glad to hear that, Falcon. The gun that he bought does not have any rust on(or in) it. I am sure that he is still in the stages of "new love" with the gun. I will tell him about using a #11 nipple. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I own a Black Diamond XR. There are few guns that I own that can shoot any better then the BD. Yes it is a bear to clean. But I switched from 209 primers to #11 caps and that helped a great deal in back flash, fouling, and ease of swabbing.

It is a true magnum rifle. But I find 100 grains of powder and just about anything I want to shoot.. very accurate. Try some shockwaves with the rifle. I think you will be impressed.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, I thank you for your info. I am a novice to this forum, I do not check it as often as I should and always seem to learn something when I do. It is great to hear the opinions of everyone. Folks with nearly ten and twenty thousand posts are impressive. I will relay your recommendations to my son. Maybe I can get him on here too. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Jenks, I also agree with the #11 cap. I had bought the Black Diamond several years ago. Great gun but my suggestion is "Quick Release Scope Rings" I believe T/C sold them. Your son will be glad after trying to clean out that breech.
"Correction" Leopould sold the base and rings.

Last edited by Rob1969; 12-02-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rob, I have already told him to swap to a #11 nipple, I will tell him about the quick release mount. I have a Hawken, but a stainless inline has its attractions. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have a stainless one as well Jenks. Like others, mine is deadly accurate as well. 240 XTP in front of 2 Triple7 pellets for me. The breech can be a little of a pain to clean but everything else wasn't bad at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.