Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Decisions, Decisions...Off topic >

Decisions, Decisions...Off topic

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Decisions, Decisions...Off topic

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Ed,

You're testing me my friend... I've been wanting to take that old rifle out and make it talk again for years, just haven't taken the time to shoot it.

BPS
The Savage 99 for whatever reason is a very under rated gun.

I think alot had to do with stock design. With rifle sights they are simply wonderful to shoot. The stock was made for shooting that rifle with iron sights.

Scope it and it somewhat awkward to shoot. You almost need a cheekpiece or something to get the height up too.

I would have loved to have seen the Savage 99 come out with a long action. Could you imagine a Savage 99 in 270 or 30-06? There were some reports of prototypes floating around and pictures in gun magazines years ago. I was drooling at getting one of the first ones. It never happened. That 300 you got is about as close as it gets and should do quite nicley.

SHOOT IT!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with Muley - The 94 needs to hunt. Everyone needs to shoot a deer with a 94 once in their life. It's almost non-American not to!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ed,

I too have always had an affection for the older 99's, but with hindsight being 20/20, I never took advantage of it when they were more abundant on the gun racks of local shops when I was younger. I bought the 1946 model "E" back in 1986 because I finally decided I had to have one and the price was very reasonable for it's condition. I had friends that hunted with 99's when we were in high school, most were heirloom rifles that were a Grandad's gun or their Dad's first rifle. I always liked the way they felt in your hands and admired the quality. Mine is a nice old rifle with hand cut checkering, Schnabel forearm, bronze rotary magazine with cutout for cartridge counter, and the original style safety on the lever. The color case hardening is faded some, but the bluing is still pretty good and there no dings or dents in the wood. The best part is that it's never been altered in any way and is not drilled and tapped for scope. Unfortunately, It may be out of the running because I haven't found any factory ammo for it locally yet.

Bronko,

I have killed deer with a model 94 Winchester in both 30-30 (my mom's old 30 WCF rifle), and the .32 Win. special that was my Dad's, but I haven't taken one with the gun I listed.

BPS
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fellas,

Just an update in case anyone was curious as to which firearm I chose. I was leaning toward the .300 Savage if I was able to find a box of ammo for it locally, but hunting season for my wife and I has taken an abrupt turn, at least for awhile. My wife's Mom passed away unexpectedly sometime late Friday evening of an apparent heart attack, she was 83 years old. My wife and her sister worked her Mom's store with her on Friday selling hunting licenses, ammo and accessories, etc., and she seemed fine. My wife went down Saturday morning to open the store and help her out with license sales again and found her. She had stated yesterday that she thought she might go out for a few hours this morning to "take her mind off things" so I told her I'd go out with her although I had my doubts about it. When we got up this morning she said that maybe she would wait awhile. I told her there's no hurry and that it can wait until she feels ready so I'll forego my hunting until we can hunt together.

BPS
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sad times BPS. Please express the condolences of all the HNI regulars to your wife.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was gonna say the 99 also. Sorry for your loss, I know the feeling. My wife's father also passed unexpectedly two weeks ago, at 71. Hang in there.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

The Savage, man. It's a classic (like that '94), but you far fewer of them than '94's, and you are seeing fewer and fewer as time goes by.

And they are SWEETLY made rifles...it's a shame they don't make'em anymore, but I'll bet they just got too expensive to make to be competitive in the market.

As for the .300 Savage round, it, too, is a classic, but you see far less of it than you used to. FWIW, it was also my paternal grandfather's favorite deer cartridge, and my son now hunts with his rifle (a Remington 760 made in '52).

ALSO, our top WWII fighter pilot used the '99:

http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39688

edit: Condolences. I extend my sympathy to your family's loss

Last edited by Grawlix; 12-02-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: didn't finish reading the whole thread before posting the reply
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Prayers and sympathies man.

Hope you can get back out soon!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

So sorry for your loss, your in our prayers.

My father in law had a savage 99 in 300 savage with a rotary mag. He thinks his dad bought it new about 1907.
My sister used a savage 99c she bought new about 1975 in 308. Our nephew got it when she passed away. It got several deer during her hunting years.

Al