Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead >

OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead

Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead

I guess the TC Shockwaves must have heard me poor mouthing their performance online. This is the quickest I have ever had a deer go down after being shot with a muzzle loader and the best blood trail I have ever seen with a muzzle loader. Not that it was needed she went about 15 yards. Sorry for the poor photo. This is the exit hole. Shot distance was about 60 yards. Used 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets behind a 250gr shockwave. Blood trail like a red carpet.

Last edited by Todd1700; 11-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

That will work..Congrats...
Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only had a couple stumble more than 10 yards shooting shockwaves, most just took a dirt nap on the spot of impact, but I'm a shoulder shooter.
RR
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 AM
Typical Buck

A well placed shot never hurts. I've used the 200 SST's with good results.

Congrats.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
A well placed shot never hurts. I've used the 200 SST's with good results.

Congrats.
same bullet as the shockwaves.
RR
Old 11-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found Shock Wave and Lehigh to be the most consistantly accurate bullets in ALL my muzzle loading guns. My experence is that up to 1800 FPS the regular Shock Waves are excellant and over 1800FPS the Bonded preform best. When I go after something over 500 pounds I use the Lehigh as on really big game the extra penatration is worth the money.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!!! Are you using yellow tip or blue tip? Blue tips are bonded and I have a suspicion many people that complain about poor expansion are using the bonded bullets when they may not be necessary. Also, did you hit the shoulder or just behind? Nice shot and great deer. Again, congratulations.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!! Are you using yellow tip or blue tip?
Yellow Tip.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Shockwaves/SST's. Last year I used the 300 gr. SST. The deer ran about 5 yards head first into a tree and flipped over backwards. He was done at that point.
Wanted to use them again this year but only had a couple left so I'm using 300 gr. XTP's instead.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I have yet to take game with a Shockwave but their accuracy on the range has impressed me so much, them and the SST are a real favorite. Lee got me interested in the .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwaves with some reports of hunting success. I have read about the horror stories of pencil hole in and out wounds. And I always wonder.. what was the bullet placement and what did it hit in its travel? And so I started shooting them. I believe with the amazing accuracy of them, they just have to be a real white tail killer. I did expansion tests with the 200 grain and found not only do they penetrate and expand, but they don't seem to fragment like the larger shockwaves. So in my Optima, had I got the opportunity to hunt this year, (which due to doctors advise is a no) I fully intended to put the 200 grain to the test. Even at close ranges as I encounter. It was going to be them or the 300 grain XTP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.