Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead >

OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK You Convinced Me, Used Shockwaves Instead

Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Spike

I hunt caribou and deer with the 200SST, great bullet, accurate, deadly and light recoil.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the harvest! Nice shot placement. I also like the 200 grain Shockwaves - they do really well for me...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the bonded 250gr shock wave for several years with excellent results until this year. I posted back in oct a doe I shot and had some trouble finding her with a well placed shot from the SW. Early this month I shot a 14 inch 8pt at approximately 40 yards. I felt good about the shot and the buck ran off into a strip of woods that separates two small fields jinking his tail. When I see a deer jinking his tail after a shot that has always been a positive sign for me. When I got to where the deer was standing I found no blood or hair, I followed his tracks out of my food plot until the tracks came to where the field was growed up. All the weeds had red stems so I knew it would be impossible to find blood in it, but no big deal I saw exactly where he ran into the strip. I found two drops of blood where he went into the woods. I fully expected him to be lying in that strip, but he wasnt. I didnt find anymore blood other than the two drops. If he followed the strip of woods it would lead in into a super thick cottonwood thicket. I decided to back out and come back the next morning. At 7am I took my lab and me and her searched until 2pm with no sign of the buck. The cottonwood thicket is about 4-5 acres and we searched it from stem to stern. We searched the other field, the woods along the bay, the strip he ran into again, nothing. I realize since I didn't find the buck I cant verify where my shot hit. All I can say is I felt good with the shot and my muzzy is on. Like I stated early I have had excellent results with the SW's and I am not gonna stop using them. Maybe I got a hold of a box that was bonded a bit to much I dont know. I just dont like losing game that I shoot. I made every effort to find that buck but I didnt him. Hopefully he will live, but I dont think so.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

What type shockwave were you using, yellow or blue tip.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

you do not need a bonded bullet or an all copper bullet at muzzleloader velocities for nothing, unless your hunting dangerous game. stick with the yellow tips, especialy for whitetails, stay off the shoulder till they are past 100 yards if your worred about meat damage.
RR
Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have never used the bonded Shockwave bullet and can't speak to that one.

For many years i used the 250 grain Hornady SST bullet interchangeably with the 250 grain TC Shockwave. Those bullets have killed 25-30 deer and dozens of wild hogs for me.

The 250 grain Shockwave bullet sometimes failed to expand: At first i hardly noticed. Never lost an animal but thought it strange that the exit hole was the same size as the entry. Hogs and deer of like size that were hit in the same place with the 250 grain SST either did not have an exit or had a huge exit hole.

IMO: The soft tip of the SST causes the bullet to expand more reliably.

i stopped using the Shockwave bullet.

Last edited by falcon; 12-11-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Spike

I just purchased Barnes T-EZ bullets in 250 grain, hope I don't have any issues with them expanding.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have taken three deer, I believe, with the 300 grain S/Ws in my Omega. I used the 250 SSTs this year and they both performed the same on deer. They are very accurate, at least for me, out of my Omega. I have taken three deer with 240 XTPs (.452) and they were accurate and deadly as advertised as well. As stated many times before by many people, pretty much any accurately placed bullet is going to work.