Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts >

Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk Me Out of Using Powerbelts

Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Spike

Default Powerbelt Bullet

Have always hunted with traditional flintlocks with round ball until this year. Bought a new CVA Accura after witnessing the incredible accuracy my son got with his. Since I hunt in S. GA in deep woods, I wanted a bullet that would anchor the deer as quickly as possible and leave a blood trail ( I hate those after dark carcass hunts). Chose a 295 HP Copper with two pellets of white hots. Pre-season accuracy testing was satisfactory at the ranges I hunt. Anyway, shot a nice doe this Saturday, range 15 yards. Aimed at top of shoulder at 90 degree angle. Deer ran off into the thickets. Got down, no fur, no blood, no fat no nothing. Started walking the way she went. Found her 35 yards away.

On cleaning, I found that the 295 HP Powerbelt I used exploded on impact, destroying the top part of the shoulder and doing extensive damage into the neck veins and arteries. Never found the bullet, and it did not exit. Lost a lot of good meat.

Now consider the factors: Did I shoot too close for this bullet? Should I have aimed for the heart and lungs? With 2 pellets (100gr) it could not have been overpowered. Lessons learned, I won't use a HP, but I will continue to use Powerbelts, maybe one with an aerotip that will allow it to penetrate further, and I'll aim for the lungs without any heavy bone to penetrate and cause a break up. When I get back up to GA, I'll check the bone pile and see if I can find the bullet.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take lung shots with Powerbelts. Also, use less powder if you're going to shoot that close.

The Platinum will hold up better than what you used.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default powerbelts

No powerbelts for me. Used them for a couple years because they were so easy to load. My opinion, just poor kill charateristics. Deer traveled too far after being hit. Blood trail very poor. Switched to 250 grain shockwaves out of T/C Omega and have been very pleased. Get some Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and loading diffuclty is not an issue. Just my experience.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by trich
No powerbelts for me. Used them for a couple years because they were so easy to load. My opinion, just poor kill charateristics. Deer traveled too far after being hit. Blood trail very poor. Switched to 250 grain shockwaves out of T/C Omega and have been very pleased. Get some Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and loading diffuclty is not an issue. Just my experience.

Good advice. I shoot an Omega as well and use the CR sabots. I get good performance even out of some of the discount bullets. The Shockwaves are a great bullet though. Been using some of the cheaper Harvester bullets the last few years with good success.