Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier. >

Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Hey Grouse! What all have you tried sharpening with it? I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while.
Just hunting knives so far. The angle is the most important and all knives are different. The Lansky can adjust for different angles and thats what i did on my different knives over the years. This setup is just plain simple, and it really is for someone who doesnt know how to sharpen a knife. Just set in the right angle and sharpen your knife. Your Knife manufacture will tell you the proper angle to sharpen your blade. It takes about 30 seconds to sharpen a knife. The angles only take seconds to change. Not sure how long the belts last or how long the product last.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I am old fashinoned and use Arkansas stones too.

And I carry this -- A steel diamond rod - I have one in my truck door and one in my pocket when I hunt. It will put an edge on anything quickly - even serated.

The Diamond Steel will screw into the handle to be hid. Easily pocketable.

And as Cayugad stated - high quality steel keeps its edge and will regain its edge quickly with the right stone.

About 15 bucks.

JW

Last edited by JW; 11-19-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Just hunting knives so far. The angle is the most important and all knives are different. The Lansky can adjust for different angles and thats what i did on my different knives over the years. This setup is just plain simple, and it really is for someone who doesnt know how to sharpen a knife. Just set in the right angle and sharpen your knife. Your Knife manufacture will tell you the proper angle to sharpen your blade. It takes about 30 seconds to sharpen a knife. The angles only take seconds to change. Not sure how long the belts last or how long the product last.

I have been thinking about one of these for a little while. It has gotten good reviews from everyone on another forum I am on. Not only having the right blade angle is important but also being able to repeat that angle consistently. For someone that doesn't know how to do this well will absolutely just mess a knife up trying to do it the old fashion way. For those that know how to sharpen a knife then of course they don't need something like this.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking about a work sharp as well. I have a Lanski Diamond set and to be honest they are a pain in the @ss with some blades. I have a could of knifes that slip out of the clamp every time. I have a couple of poor quality steel knifes that just can't be sharpened with the lanski. I bought a Chief's Choice to sharpen filet knifes.
The work sharp looks interesting but I would like to try one. Ron
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

I love mine. If you think they get sharp with just the regular belts, try this. I followed someones advice about taking a 1600 grit belt and holding some 80 grit sandpaper and sanding the belt smooth. Then get some green stropping compound and put on it the belt and use it for your final step and youll be amazed how much better of a job it does.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Spike

Default Worksharp

I bought a Worksharp a couple years ago and I must say it is one of the best things I've ever purchased. I've sharpened everything I could find from yard tools to knifes. I have probably 7 or 8 (at least) other sharpeners and this no other sharpener even comes close in my opinion. Worth every penny! I bought one for my dad as soon as I used this a few times.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by COLOelkman
I bought a Worksharp a couple years ago and I must say it is one of the best things I've ever purchased. I've sharpened everything I could find from yard tools to knifes. I have probably 7 or 8 (at least) other sharpeners and this no other sharpener even comes close in my opinion. Worth every penny! I bought one for my dad as soon as I used this a few times.
How long do the belts last and how available are they? Ron
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by COLOelkman
Thanks for the heads up. My knives are much sharper now then when using my Lansky sharpener. Can't wait to see how long the product will last.