Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier. >

Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another tool to make your muzzleloader hunt easier.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, the thing looks good. But it's kind of hard to use in the field.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Spike

Muley,
Are they really as sharp as a properly hand sharpened blade?How many have broken on you.For that price how can you go wrong if they work well.Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

They're very sharp. Surgical sharp. They can't handle being twisted hard, or they'll break, but used just for cutting they can't be beat.

They do have a new model with thicker blades now. That should help the hamfisted skinners.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I stopped sharpening knives, and went with this. Much easier.

http://www.havalon.com/
I recieved one of these for Christmas a few years ago and it changed my outlook on skinning/quartering deer. These knives are amazing!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Lansky sharpener. It says it does conventional steel and even serrated, but I never tried the serrated sharpener part. Then it has a small diamond rod to really put that special edge on. Its amazing how sharp that simple $10.00 sharpener gets a knife. And the good quality knives seems to sharpen fast and hold their edge.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I stopped sharpening knives, and went with this. Much easier.

http://www.havalon.com/

Heck, that's for guys that never learned how to sharpen a knife!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a $100 dollar Chef's Choice electric sharpener that can put a razor edge on pretty much any blade. But the truth is, nine times out of ten I reach for this.

It is ridiculously easy to use and puts an excellent edge on a blade. It might be a little more aggressive that some other sharpeners, meaning it takes off more metal, but its an easy trade off for how well it works. Like $9.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by stude 283
Semisane,
Is that actually emery paper or just 400 wet dry automotive sandpaper?Would it be beneficial to wrap around a dowel for us not as gifted with our hands as you?
Good question Stude. It's Gator brand waterproof sandpaper from Ace Hardware. The abrasive is Silicon Carbide, not Emery. My bad. Back when I was a kid we called any such paper used for metal sanding Emery paper. I never got out of the habit.

I don't think a dowel would add to the effectiveness. The rolled tube is plenty stiff enough, and you don't want to apply a lot of pressure anyway. A light touch and holding the angle is all it takes.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Accu Sharp as well. A gentle touch helps keep it from removing too much metal. If I want to shave with the blade I give it a few strokes with a steel or a diamond hone afterwards. I see no need for an electric sharpener, the manufacturers come up with some new gimick like that annually for those who cannot sharpen knives. I would be done sharpening by the time you got something like that set up. To each their own though.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a knife gets extremely dull (which I do not let mine reach that point), I'll use a Lansky to re-shape the edge and finish with a finishing steel and then a strop. Most of my knives only need an occasional touch up from my fine diamond steel and then my finishing steel and then strop. When I'm butchering a deer I keep the finishing steel handy and wipe the blade clean periodically and hit it again. You can shave hair with all of my knives. Like Bronko says, you rarely get cut with a sharp knife, but it's easy to get cut with a dull one because you start applying more pressure than necessary and slip. Knives tend to dull mostly while you're using them on the cutting board. I also prefer to use quality knives of carbon steel or carbon/stainless blends. I hate stainless blades.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 11-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.