Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Him, Again!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Him, Again!!!

This guy showed up one mile away at our other feeder. Glad he survived OK muzzleloader season:

This "murder buck" showed up there too:

Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Feeder Whats a Feeder? You don't shot them at a feeder do you?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DocD
Feeder Whats a Feeder? You don't shot them at a feeder do you?

Other questions you may consider Doc.

You don't shoot them under oak trees when the acorns are dropping, do you?

You don't shoot them when they are entering agricultural fields, do you?

You don't shoot them under apple/pear trees, do you?

You don't shoot them when they're distracted by the breeding imperative, do you?

You don't shoot them when they are entering or leaving their secure bedding area, do you?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

^^^^^^What Semisane said^^^^^^

That deer is asking me to make a project of him. There is a nice hunting blind on the hill overlooking the deer trail that leads to that feeder, it even has a small heater.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

You then also get into scents.. do you shoot them over mock scrapes? Do you shoot them at drip scent sights? How about decoys? I know a lot of people feel it gives hunters an unfair advantage when hunting at feeders, food plots, even bait piles, and maybe it does. But different methods will always change depending on the area we hunt. But that's one reason I use a muzzleloader.. kind of my way to even the odds. If all I wanted was a full freezer, I would take the AR15.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane

Other questions you may consider Doc.

You don't shoot them under oak trees when the acorns are dropping, do you?

You don't shoot them when they are entering agricultural fields, do you?

You don't shoot them under apple/pear trees, do you?

You don't shoot them when they're distracted by the breeding imperative, do you?

You don't shoot them when they are entering or leaving their secure bedding area, do you?

BAM!! good call

Having said that I do believe that scent covers and lures are a bit unfair. But then by that logic isn't a rifle unfair? after all it's just point and click why don't we all use spears and rocks! the issue of ethics isn't just a two sided coin.

As long as you aren't spotlighting them, trespassing or shooting them in pens I think you're all good ethics wise

Last edited by jpbowhunter; 11-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone else has pretty much covered it. HD.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smelling Dinner is one thing, seeing it at the Table is another. Now I'm one for what ever one State say's is Legal, is Legal. That's there way and other's have there's, that's life and there way of it.
(BP)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throughout most of the Keystone State, one cannot hunt over, or near an active feeder as it is considered baiting. I believe that feeders have to be empty at all times and rendered inert (batteries removed) during any open seasons for deer/bear/turkey. The "special regulations" zone in southeastern PA (near Philly) allowed baiting on private land for a short period of time but that's no longer allowed. Hunting over food plots, agricultural lands, and natural wild food sources is permitted. Personally, I'm glad that PA doesn't allow hunting over feeders or baiting. Poachers would take full opportunity of that, and we have enough problems with poaching here as it is.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 11-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

do you believe poachers give a chit about anything & pa needs to come to their senses i grew up in that state & have not hunted there since 1980 the pgc really have lost their freakin mind the only thing i would ever hunt again in pa would be elk bear & for a new leader in the pa game commision all the smart people in the pgc have left for another job in another state where it makes a difference to hunt & control game population

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.