Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Here's my new (old) double shotgun >

Here's my new (old) double shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Here's my new (old) double shotgun

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Here's my new (old) double shotgun

Well, I did it--bought my first double. I got it from an online auction this evening for $549--good?. The owner bought it at an estate sale, where they told him it had never been fired. No picture of the date code, but judging by the 4-digit serial#, I'm betting its from the 70's or 80's--anyone? Barrel is cylinder/cylinder, so loading during quail hunting should be easier. I wonder if it will weigh 5 lbs-12 oz or the heavier 7 lbs or so--I read that the early Piettas should be light?? Now if I can just find some #11 caps locally!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks good donw. I have an early 1960s Pedersoli double which has lines a lot like that Pietta. They are a hoot to shoot. We had a lot of quail down here in S.E. Louisiana when I got it. But due to to loss of small farms and growth of timber land our quail population has gone in the toilet. But mine gets a work out now and then on doves, which I manage to scare quite a bit as they fly by.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Semi. I can hardly wait to try it out and work up a good patterning load. I have a business associate who I recently found out has dogs he uses for quail hunting--and he said he'd invite me to go sometime! I gave up quail hunting in Arizona, tromping up and down cactus strewn steep hills, in and out of washes to find the occasional covey. And the ones I'd shoot, 8 of 10 would be lost to the high brush or cactus. Dogs sound good!

Originally Posted by Semisane
But mine gets a work out now and then on doves, which I manage to scare quite a bit as they fly by.
Never dove hunted, but that would be me, too!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I had the gun for while. Not sure why I sold it but it was fun to shoot.

My folks winter in Sedona. No shortage of quail in that area.

Enjoy the sport.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

donw,

Nice looking double! I've always wanted to try one of those myself. Looks like you got it at a very fair price too boot! With those barrels choked cyl/cyl, it should be a pretty good quail gun for sure.

BPS
Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now the fun part is working up loads for it. I have a TC New Englander and am working up loads for spring turkey. Have fun pal.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
Now the fun part is working up loads for it. I have a TC New Englander and am working up loads for spring turkey. Have fun pal.
Ive generally found that if you are looking to go traditional the way to go about it is to pour a equal portion of powder then a lubed over the powder wad then a equal portion of shot followed by a over shot card.

A lubed over the powder wad always seems to give more concentric patterns than a non lubed card. At least its been the case in most of my smooth bores.

If you are looking to go modern then the way to do it is to use a conventional shot cup. Pour you powder then seat your cup,, pour a equal amount of shot then ram a over shot card down.

Some people like to use a larger amount of shot than powder and some people like to use a larger amount of powder than shot. Sometimes you just have to experiment to see which gives you the most concentric patterns but the best starting point I have found is a equal amount of both. And generally the best ending point is a equal amount of both.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Not looking to go all traditional. In fact I have some BPI mult-metal shot cups, which I plan on using to get denser patterns from this cylinder/cylinder gun. I currently use them with my CVA Optima shotgun barrel for turkey. With their thicker, harder plastic, they should give tighter patterns, and I've never had a plastic fouling issue.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love the looks of that gun!

Sure wish we had a few quail & grouse left to hunt here. Seems like they are only a memory now. My favorite grouse habitat of the past is now a subdivision, and a hard winter several years ago just about wiped out the quail.

I'd try both the wads and shot cups and see what gave the best patterns.