Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you think about ground blinds? >

What do you think about ground blinds?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think about ground blinds?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Although I prefer hunting from above I do hunt from ground blinds every now & then, I do prefer making them out of natural materal. but here is a manmade one I was given as a gift, it can be nice in bad weather.

This one is just a couple of feet off the ground (swamp) a couple of poles & some duckblind material

Last edited by DocD; 10-17-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed 2 bucks out of an Ameristep Chair Blind(they make a double and single version) at my Texas lease. I use a Bog Pod tripod for a rifle rest. The single is cramped, but I use it because its hard to find a spot big enough to use a full size pop up where I hunt and it's light and easy to carry. I wear a face mask and gloves as well and use as much natural cover as I can. I also watch the wind direction. I hope to use a regular pop up this year, if I can find room for it. At my age, a tree blind is too dangerous to use. I leave it up most of the time and it seem to bother the deer.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo pretty much what everyone else has said. I use a ground blind sometimes. I like how it keeps the rain off of you, and you stay warmer. I like how it helps contain your scent - I've had deer walk up very close and not seem to smell me. I like how it is safer - I'm not a huge fan of heights, but I do hunt often from tree stands.

The main negatives for me are:
-limited vision - I feel that I can't see nearly as well from a ground blind- even compared to just sitting on the ground
-can be a pain to haul around and set up
-need to find an appropriate spot and make sure it is brushed in well. Deer will notice it right away if it is not brushed in well. It's a different story for turkey - you can plop it right down in the middle of the field and they will walk right up to it
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have any pop-ups. Hunted a time or two from one my buddy has. It was OK, but inferior to an elevated box stand. Cold, nasty, wet, windy weather will find me in one of my three box stands. In nice weather, it's either a "high chair" or an open top ground blind made with old fence boards.

This one overlooks a small food plot.

This one overlooks a spot where two deer trails intersect about 60 yards from the high chair.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy hunting from ground blinds. In thick areas I like making my own from the surroundings (that's half the fun), but pop-up blinds are nice to have as they're readily mobile and work well in open areas in my experience. They can also be put in your natural blind and brushed-in during poor weather. I've only used Double Bulls for store-bought. Really nice blinds. I'd be interested in seeing how some of the cheaper hub-lock blinds do in the wind and weather.

It's really a matter of location as to whether or not I prefer a treestand. It sounds like you feel a good opportunity to hunt from the ground. I say, give it a go.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

They work just fine but the deer can see moving EZ in them so put a lot of brush around them.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may just try one out. I would prefer to build a stand, but this field neighbors our field and I have permission to hunt it, but not put anything semi permanent up. I could probably put a treestand up, but it would have to be done before shotgun season starts and I can pretty much guarantee it would be used by other hunters then. If I use a pop up blind I could wait until the week before muzzleloader season starts. Then I could put it up, it would have a week for the deer to adapt to it then I could always put it somewhere else next year.
I had to stop at Walmart on my way home from work last night, so I walked back to see what they had. There was 2 two person blinds, one was an Ameristep Bone Collector that was the spring steel style for $75. They also had the Ameristep Brickhouse for $100. It's a hub style and a little bigger.
For people that have used them, is the hub style worth the extra money?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I may just try one out. I would prefer to build a stand, but this field neighbors our field and I have permission to hunt it, but not put anything semi permanent up. I could probably put a treestand up, but it would have to be done before shotgun season starts and I can pretty much guarantee it would be used by other hunters then. If I use a pop up blind I could wait until the week before muzzleloader season starts. Then I could put it up, it would have a week for the deer to adapt to it then I could always put it somewhere else next year.
I had to stop at Walmart on my way home from work last night, so I walked back to see what they had. There was 2 two person blinds, one was an Ameristep Bone Collector that was the spring steel style for $75. They also had the Ameristep Brickhouse for $100. It's a hub style and a little bigger.
For people that have used them, is the hub style worth the extra money?
I can only speak to to the hub style. Once you learn the system, which can be tricky, they are very nice.

I like to have room for two. I've had some great hunts with friends and family in a ground blind. We set up comfy lawn chairs, pour some coffee and wait for the deer or turkeys in comfort.

They are great for turkeys where they are so sensitive to movement and I can work the slate call in secret.

For an extra $25, I'd get one which will last.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used many types of blind over the years from the spring steel dog house type to the hub style.

The spring steel do go up fast but I did not care for the fabric. And twsiting that spring around was a bit of trouble at times - I used it a few years but the camo on the fabric seemed to fade.

So in 2004 I took the bullet and bought a Double Bull 360. Almost 10 years later I am still using this blind and it is a hub style. I use it allof turkey season and all of deer season.
Fabric is great - goes up quick and comes down just as quick and packs in easily.
I am 63. On my long hauls I actually use a deer cart which carries my chair, my lunch bag and my blind and during turkey season my decoys if I use them.

For all the blinds I have used this DB has outlasted any others I bought or have used.

*****BUYER BEWARE You pay for what you get.

If not careful with other hub style - nylon fabric blinds the nylon will rip and pull away from the hub which makes it difficult to set up. I have helped repair everyone of my buddies..as all 3 went the cheap route....Each time I telll them they should have gone the way I did and now they just shake their head......I now quote Si Robertson~! Piece of junk!

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-18-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking on the internet and I'm leaning towards a hub style. All the ones I'm looking at say they're a weatherproof polyester. That should hold up ok, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.