Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Wolf & 240gr XTPs >

CVA Wolf & 240gr XTPs

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf & 240gr XTPs

Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Wolf & 240gr XTPs

Still trying to find the sweet load. Been shooting 90gr ffg Goex and not getting good accuracy, so this evening I tried 80gr, 100gr, and 110gr loads.
Still not great, but the best was 2" using 100gr of Goex (at 100 yards). I could deer hunt with that load, but I'd like to find something better.
(80gr was almost 5", 90gr was 2½", and 110gr opened back up to 2½")

The bullets/sabots came in a pre-packaged plastic case from the rack of the local WalMart, and the combo loads fairly easy in the Wolf. I was swabbing with a "spit patch" and a dry patch between each shot and loading didn't become noticeably more difficult until I had shot over 10 rounds.

I think I'll look for a tighter fitting combo!

Probably order some 250gr Barnes Expanders to try. They've been a pretty tight fit in all the inlines I've shot in the past.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a CVA that didn't shoot the "Pre Packaged" 240 gr XTP's with great accuracy. True I have never owned a Wolf nor have I tried Goex for Powder in a CVA. Have you ever tried Pyro? Like I commented in your other post all the CVA's I ever owned shot the 240gr XTP's great, mostly with 110gr's of Pyro RS and the others with 2 50gr Regular Pyro Pellets.
(BP)
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I never had a CVA that didn't shoot the "Pre Packaged" 240 gr XTP's with great accuracy. True I have never owned a Wolf nor have I tried Goex for Powder in a CVA. Have you ever tried Pyro? Like I commented in your other post all the CVA's I ever owned shot the 240gr XTP's great, mostly with 110gr's of Pyro RS and the others with 2 50gr Regular Pyro Pellets.
(BP)
Tried Pyro RS and the accuracy was about the same as Goex. I prefer Goex when it comes to cleaning up after shooting.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not the best shot nor do I use the best rest, but here's the last target I shot with my Wolf at 100 yards. The bullet/sabot combo you're using is convenient but I like this combo. A 240 grain .44 cal. XTP in a green Harvester sabot. I was using Pyrodex Select. I don't think the powder you use makes that much difference. Of course, how much you use does.

I find that with the store bought combo you are using, the bullet is just a little bit too short for the sabot and the tip of my ram rod gets stuck at the end of the bullet and the tips of the sabot petals.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about the CVA's but my Omega will shoot most sabots with decent groups using 2-777 pellets. The only thing it doesn't shoot consistantly is powerbelts. Never had much luck with them out any of my ml rifles.