Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Great Plains Flinter and the 57GPR Sight >

Great Plains Flinter and the 57GPR Sight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Great Plains Flinter and the 57GPR Sight

Old 08-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great Plains Flinter and the 57GPR Sight

This morning I had my first chance to shoot the .50 caliber Great Plains flintlock with the recently acquired Lyman 57GPR receiver sight.

When I mounted the sight I set it to align with the front sight and primitive rear sight, then removed the primitive sight. That worked really well, grouping the shots at exactly POA at 50 yards.

Did my groups tighten up with the receiver sight? Yes, they did.

Here's the first five shots with the new sight, using a 6 o'clock hold on the bull.

I then adjusted the sight for what I figured would be about two inches high at 50 yards. As it turned out - I got it right.

Here's the next target at 50 yards.

YEP! That was seven hours ago and I'm still grinning.

As the morning moved along toward eleven o'clock it got hotter than Bill Clinton in a sorority house, and my underwear was soaked with sweat. But I persisted and took five more shots at 75 yards. Here's that target.

When I first got this gun my plan was to try and talk someone into reboring it to .58 caliber. But How can I do that now? It would be a sin to mess with this barrel.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!! It is hard for me to imagine you sinning to rebore this rifle, even though you are well known sinner.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot o'deer - I think you will be able to dat.... Great Shooting - and this was your first time out with it?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Shoot o'deer - I think you will be able to dat.... Great Shooting - and this was your first time out with it?
This was the second time out with this gun Sabotloader. But the first time with the Receiver Sight.

See the targets from the first time out here (using the Lyman primitive sight). http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-session.html
Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
This was the second time out with this gun Sabotloader. But the first time with the Receiver Sight.

See the targets from the first time out here (using the Lyman primitive sight). http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-session.html
Well, not that any of those targets were anywhere near bad... but jees! the peep certainly tightened things up or just you became a lot more content with that rifle...
Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The peep is the difference. At least for me. It really sharpens the view of the front sight.

Also, the peep extends my effective range. I really struggle with open sights beyond 50 yards. But 75 yards with a peep is no sweat, and 100/125 is doable.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
The peep is the difference. At least for me. It really sharpens the view of the front sight.
I would totally agree - for me two..

I even go one step farther with a fiber optic on the front and a hood around that to offer almost a scope like picture. The other part I like is the rim of the hood almost fills the peep and adds another sight dimension to make sure everything is lined up.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some excellent shooting... and I mean that. Wow... I have scoped rifle that can not shoot that well. Nice shooting. Do you catch a lot of bugs in your mouth, walking around with that big happy face grin?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - fantastic. Even from a gentleman with your limited vision and old age. I do believe those are some of your more impressive targets since I've seen your posts.
I love the peeps. All my traditional MLs have either a T/C, a Williams or a Lyman peep on it. But with me acquiring a couple new MLs, and switching peeps around, I have 3 to sight in. And I still haven't checked to see how my .58 shoots at 100 yds.
I've been busy getting ready for archery season with hanging stands and such plus getting my daughter-in-law started in shooting. (she's going to be hunting with me this year so I had to hang a couple double stand sets in addition to my own stand sets). I have to get them all up earlier than usual because I am going to FL the entire month of Sept.
Again - great shooting buddy.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got pie plate accuracy with my GPR Flintlock @ 100yds but I haven't tried that high of a powder charge yet and shot mostly 3f GOEX in the 50.

I must admit that is some dam fine shooting!!!

I'll have to try that powder/patch/lube/ball combination!!!

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.