Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Chpt #4-Sabotless Shooting Addition - Recovery Mission >

Chpt #4-Sabotless Shooting Addition - Recovery Mission

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chpt #4-Sabotless Shooting Addition - Recovery Mission

Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Chpt #4-Sabotless Shooting Addition - Recovery Mission

It was not the best morning in the world to go shooting, already 65* as we were leaving. I asked a neighbor if he wanted to go out and shoot a ML, he is an archer and ML is completely new to him, he was excited about it. What I really was after was another set of eyes to help me look for spent sub-bridges from last week. Well, I will darned if he did not find one as we were walking down to the wall to place pigeons. As looked back at the bench, we were at least 75 yards down range from where they were shot. That surprised me.

From what I see on this spent sub-bridge.... beats the heck out of wool wads or shot cards. There is now doubt that the gas was sealed behind the bridge. The next concern was what would 120 grains of T7 do the integrity of the bridge with a 300 grain bullet on top of it. You can see that it collapsed the top dome somewhat - but really it works very well.

We did shoot both a 50 cal Mountaineer and the 50 cal MK-85 project rifle this morning using Barnes XPB and MMP Sub-Bridges, actually Cam shot more than I did. He really got off on shooting the birds on the rock wall with the Mountaineer @ 100 yds. I loaded and shot the first shot and talked Cam through the process, then Cam loaded and shot the next 5 shots - 5 shots 5 birds - now Cam is convinced anyone can do this muzzleloading thing.

I think I am building another convert...

But, more importantly - the sub-bridges work very well with sabotless full bore shooting.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The sub base does appear to work and i bet the compression makes a really tight seal quickly.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
The sub base does appear to work and i bet the compression makes a really tight seal quickly.
I really did seem to work very well and I believe it provides a far more positive seal than does a the wad or shot card...

Testing continues - gotta love shooting - i mean testing