HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Do you think this is crossing the line? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/382489-do-you-think-crossing-line.html)

pluckit 06-25-2013 12:44 PM

Do you think this is crossing the line?

Semisane 06-25-2013 01:02 PM

Muley bait! :s2:

nchawkeye 06-25-2013 01:14 PM

Not my cup of tea but I'm not one to judge others... :)

pluckit 06-25-2013 02:00 PM

The scope bases are not screwed on. They were only put on with hot glue. I got the bases a few years ago from traditions when they had them on special and never used them. They are offset and made for sidelock barrels. I wanted to see if they would work on a flint lock so I glued the bases on and put the scope on them. They work pefectly. It' a good thing I don't know how to drill and tap the barrel for the bases or I would have already done it.

muzzleloader1 06-25-2013 02:02 PM

Not at all!!! That's pretty awesome!!!

cayugad 06-25-2013 02:10 PM

If your comfortable with the rifle that way, scoped I mean. Never worry about someone else. I have scoped traditional rifles but no flintlocks. As the flash of pan powder will make cleaning the scope a little challenge. But that should make a fine hunting rifle.

Semisane 06-25-2013 02:16 PM

As the flash of pan powder will make cleaning the scope a little challenge.
That would be my only concern also. You may need to carry a pack of disposable lens tissue to wipe the ocular lens after every shot or two.

DPHMIN 06-25-2013 02:24 PM

With the scope that high, it will be difficult to shoot accurately, because of having so little contact with cheek and stock.

bronko22000 06-25-2013 02:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing. That scope is awfully high. As for the scope getting fouled from the pan flash, just put a layer of camo or electrical tape one prior to shooting then take it off when done. The lens should wipe off easily with a lens cloth. As far as putting a scope on a sidelock...whatever trips your trigger is fine. Don't worry about what others think.
I'm waiting for someone to put a laser sight on their sidelock... :)

nchawkeye 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

I use to date a girl that was considered ugly by many...

But when the lights went out, that girl knew how to make a fellow forget all that if you know what I mean...

Kinda wish I had married that one..... :)

paul54 06-26-2013 03:13 AM

Nope. Not at all. I like the looks. :cool2: Besides, it's your rifle, set it up the way it suits you. It'll be interesting to see how well the super glue works.

Paul

rdpettit 06-26-2013 05:03 AM

Looks like something a Democrat would cobble together.

Muley Hunter 06-26-2013 05:55 AM

Since you asked for my opinion. I'll give you an honest answer.

Yes.

Semisane 06-26-2013 08:41 AM

Ah Ha! I knew this one would pull Muley out of his hidey-hole.

But who could have predicted such a mild response from him?

So let me interpret his reply for you guys.

Yes = That's a gol durn offense to my eyes and to all humanity. If I weren't old and a bit infirm I'd come down off this here mountain and spank your butt. Putting a big modern scope on a nice flintlock is akin to believing something that comes out of Obama's mouth - something anyone in their right mind would not do. Now get your head on straight boy and take that thing off before some innocent young child sees it and is corrupted for life.

Muley Hunter 06-26-2013 08:54 AM

No, I didn't tell him to do anything. I gave my preference. Wasn't that the question?

As high as that scope is. I'd say the same thing for a CF gun.

Semisane 06-26-2013 09:06 AM

Dang Muley. You're mellowing. :s2:

Blackpowdersmoke 06-26-2013 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4064447)
I use to date a girl that was considered ugly by many...

But when the lights went out, that girl knew how to make a fellow forget all that if you know what I mean...

Kinda wish I had married that one..... :)

As an older fella I used to know would say..."Beauty is just a light switch away"!...:D

Seriously though...whatever floats your boat. But if you're gonna do that, make sure you heed the other's advise and wrap the underside of the scope with some regular or camo duct tape to protect the finish. I scorched the underside of a nice older Bushnell 1.5x5 (US made) scope I mounted on a T/C Scout during a lengthy shooting session before I realized that I should have taken measures to protect the scope's finish.

BPS

freebirdfb 06-28-2013 02:55 PM

If its legal and you find it useful, why not? In the end you are the one using the tool so it should be modifid to suit your needs.

bigboomer 07-02-2013 02:46 PM

I would mount it further up on the barrel and use a long eye relief scout scope,or a red dot. As far as I "see" it, you have to be able to see your target to hit it.
A rock lock with a scope....dang it... now you got me thinking

rafsob 07-03-2013 03:59 AM

It could be called blasphemy by some I guess. But I do like a scope on a side lock:

:barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy::barmy: