Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In Praise of a Lyman Great Plains >

In Praise of a Lyman Great Plains

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In Praise of a Lyman Great Plains

Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default In Praise of a Lyman Great Plains

I had the first range session today with my recently acquired .50 caliber GP.

Right after opening the box two weeks ago I mounted a new black English flint in the cock, put a little powder in the pan, and snapped it off. The pan went up with a satisfying woosh. Did that four more times and got a good flash each time. Then I pulled the Lyman touch hole liner and replaced it with a RMC liner.

Today I toughed out fifty shots with the temperature hitting ninety-one degrees and humidity up to 88% by the time I quit - shooting 15 three-shot groups at 50 yards over a chronograph.

I'll post shooting results later, but this is about the gun's reliability and overall performance.

I didn't pick the touch hole liner as I shot. It went 21 shots before my first flash in the pan. Poked a wire in the flash hole and it was off and running again.

Got my first KLATCH with no pan ignintion on shot number 27 or 28. Lightly knapped the flint and she was off and running again. Got another KLATCH around shot number 40 and lightly knapped the flint again. Took four more shots and quit at number 45.

I was letting the barrel cool after every three shots. When I did that the pan fouling turned to soup and I had to wipe it out with a patch. But I never poked the vent throughout the entire shoot, except that one time.

So after a total of 55 successful flint strikes, two KLATCHES and two knappings, here's what the flint looks like.

Can you say "happy camper"?

Last edited by Semisane; 06-23-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice rifle Semi...I like mine too but I am still working on the ignition problems getting the flame from the pan to the main charge. On you next post can you take a pic of the touch hole in relation to the pan? I have a sneaky suspicion that my touch hole is too high.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The touch hole should be behind the heel of the frizzen when closed...This way powder can't get into it from the pan...Or the bottom of the touch hole should be a touch above or even with the top of the pan...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's amazing how much that lock looks like a T/C lock...

BPS
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here you go Bronko.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I am very pleased with my rifle as well. I still have to work up the final load. But so far mine has impressed me as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Semi. Well I think I see the problem. My touch hole is on the wrong side!! (Just kidding - mine is a LH) Mine looks to be in the same position. Must be something in my loading procedure that occasionally causes a flash in the pan. I never had any trouble with my T/C flinters or my previously owned Lyman Deerstalker. Just this one for some reason.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Spike

Beautiful Rifle, I love the stock on these Lyman's.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Must be something in my loading procedure that occasionally causes a flash in the pan. I never had any trouble with my T/C flinters or my previously owned Lyman Deerstalker. Just this one for some reason.
Bronko, do you still have the Lyman touch hole liner in it?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Spike

Hey Semi;
Is that a Invest arms or a early made in USA gun? All the ones I see are import for Lyman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.