Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
It's been a while but I'm back. >

It's been a while but I'm back.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's been a while but I'm back.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default It's been a while but I'm back.

With everything going on life being a full time college student with 3 girls ranging from 4 years to 7 months I haven't had a lot of free time.
I intend on making black powder shooting a priority this sumer and get back into the swing of things. I even have a restoration project on my hands.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome back Freebird. What's the project? You know we're going to want before and after pictures.

Last edited by Semisane; 05-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Its already posted in a seperate post. Traditions hawkens with a layer of rust from sitting in a basement.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can get rid of the rust over night by soaking it in Evapo-Rust. If you us it scrub the gun after wards with hot soapy water then oil it good. It is available in auto parts stores.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

lemoyne thats good to know, I'll stop by one of our parts stors and ask. Sometimes its easier to ask than look.
I wasn't looking forward to cleaning the inside of the barrel so thats a relief. Their is only minor pitting on the outside so I'm excited to get into tradtional BP.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by freebirdfb
lemoyne thats good to know, I'll stop by one of our parts stors and ask. Sometimes its easier to ask than look.
I wasn't looking forward to cleaning the inside of the barrel so thats a relief. Their is only minor pitting on the outside so I'm excited to get into tradtional BP.
Freebird,

Welcome back. I shoot at Parma Woods if you ever want make some smoke.

The evaporust will do the job but be careful not to get any on the blueing. I learned the lesson the hard way.

I had very little spilled on a table cover, I leaned my barrel up against it, and bam, I now have a blue free zone on the barrel.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Evapo-Rust is great stuff. Just be aware that it will take the bluing off of the barrel. The best was to do it is to remove the nipple and replace it with a on-inch bolt with the same thread, with teflon tape on the threads. Then carefully fill the bore with Evapo-Rust right up to the muzzle. Let it sit like that for a day, and be careful when you dump it out to prevent it from running down the outside of the barrel.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Semisane thanks for the warning, but there is no saving the bluing. I think I'm going to hav to put the barrel in a trash bag and fill it enough to fill and cover the barrel. My first payday with my new job is friday so I probably have to wait till then because I need to buy a new ramrod and loading/cleaning jag, blueing and the evaporust. I think I need to get a gallon so I have enough for the barrel, side lock, trigger, screws, ramrod holder, etc.
Plus my in-laws are visiting next week so this will be an excuse to slip off to the garage and find some peace and quiet.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Spike

good luck with your project (and Your in-laws) I am just getting back into it myself.
about 6 mos now. Sure is fun.
I am considering removing the bluing on my Hawkin and "browning" the barrel and tang.
I don't know if that is helpful or not but it sounds pretty easy to do and looks great on a traditional rifle.
I think it would hide any pitting better than bluing.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Josmund I don't know how I overlooked your post but again there is no saving the blueing.
Steven I like the idea of brown instead of blue. Since I will end up with a shiny barrel that is an option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.