Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
460 No Excuse Load Question >

460 No Excuse Load Question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

460 No Excuse Load Question

Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Dutch
Josmund,

I just tried NE connicals in my MK85 54 this past Friday. I used 60 grains of T7 3f and got one four shot hole at 50 yards. With the same load I got 1 3/4" at 100 yards! It blew my mind! My best effort with sabots can only equal that group at 100. My original intent was to have a "summer" load that would not be so sensative to heat buildup in the barrel when shooting in warm months. But now I have a real predicament. This might be my best hunting load.

I only see two problems with this setup. First the NR 535 grainers litterally slide down the bore under the weight of the ramrod alone. I am concerned that there is not enough pressure holding the bullet on the powder should I be walking to and from a stand on hunt day. The other problem is that I calculate about 4.5 inches drop between 50 and 100 yards using the same point of aim. I am not stuck on flat tragectories, but his is a little more drop than I would like in a perfect world. Plus I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of excessive recoil. That heavy bullet will push you back pretty aggessively.
Above I'm working on a 50 but I've already sighted in a .540 White Bison using the 535s with 70 of T7 3F. Same thing as you, one hole at 50 yards and 1.5" groups at 100. I have mine sighted in for 3" high at 50 which is still 1.5" high at 100. I figured this to be about 9" low at 150.

I'm pretty sure that If you can dope the drop, it's a killer. I figure inside 125 yards it's a point and shoot scenario.

I did find my Bison likes a fouled barrel. I'm still going to mess around with knurling the bullets or perhaps use Teflon tape. I think either of these will keep the bullet on the load and help keep accuracy tight from the get go.

They are amazing. This slip fit shooting is an eye opener for this former sabot loyalist.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Spike

I am working on a load for 460 NE .50 cal. I like how they load, plenty accurate with 75-80 gr. of t-7 however since I will be hunting Elk I will be looking for a bit hotter load as well. Recoil may be the reason to cut back on the charge.
Sabots are not OK in Oregon so I am glad I found these bullets.
I am very confident at 100 yards these bullets would do the Job. I would like to be prepared to take a shot at 150 or even 200. I have a lot of shooting to do
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Josmund
Above I'm working on a 50 but I've already sighted in a .540 White Bison using the 535s with 70 of T7 3F. Same thing as you, one hole at 50 yards and 1.5" groups at 100. I have mine sighted in for 3" high at 50 which is still 1.5" high at 100. I figured this to be about 9" low at 150.

I'm pretty sure that If you can dope the drop, it's a killer. I figure inside 125 yards it's a point and shoot scenario.

I did find my Bison likes a fouled barrel. I'm still going to mess around with knurling the bullets or perhaps use Teflon tape. I think either of these will keep the bullet on the load and help keep accuracy tight from the get go.

They are amazing. This slip fit shooting is an eye opener for this former sabot loyalist.
One point I failed to mention is that the four shot group at fifty started with a clean barrel. I swab with 7:1 Ballistol:water mix between shots. No worries about shifting point of impact clean verses fouled with this rifle. Also the T7 crud ring is nearly non-existent with this load. Its going to be hard to resist this combination this November! I just need to get comfortable that the round won't migrate off the powder charger with carrying the rifle in the field. I will try the knurling trick.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stevenm2
I am working on a load for 460 NE .50 cal. I like how they load, plenty accurate with 75-80 gr. of t-7 however since I will be hunting Elk I will be looking for a bit hotter load as well. Recoil may be the reason to cut back on the charge.
Sabots are not OK in Oregon so I am glad I found these bullets.
I am very confident at 100 yards these bullets would do the Job. I would like to be prepared to take a shot at 150 or even 200. I have a lot of shooting to do
I also plan to do a lot of shooting before the season. Heck I would shoot alot even if I didnt hunt. I just love shooting that ML.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

We'll, it looks like we have a few people working on the same project. I would like to have the bulk of my load development done before the summer heat sets in. My Colorado tag is for Mid September and it's still cooking here in Kansas.

I'm prepping two guns, one to shoot and one for a group back up. I'll let you know what I find out as trips to the range continue.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Josmund
We'll, it looks like we have a few people working on the same project. I would like to have the bulk of my load development done before the summer heat sets in. My Colorado tag is for Mid September and it's still cooking here in Kansas.

I'm prepping two guns as well, one to shoot and one for a group back up. I'll let you know what I find out as trips to the range continue.
That's funny as I am working on two guns(MK-85 and a Bighorn)as well with one being the group back up.
I have been swabbing between shots with Windex w/vinegar soaked patches and I can feel the crud ring but it comes right out. We will not find out on our tags until late June but I would like to be dialed in before that.

I though about shooting today but I shot sporting clays Saturday soo it may have been hard to sell at home. Got the honey=do list done and just made myself available for more if she decided I need to get something done for her,
More shooting to come.

Last edited by stevenm2; 05-05-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: content
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Spike

After this conversation I ran a buffalo bullet .510 all the way through my bore. I measured the marks left behind and I get exactly .500 to the bottom of the grooves. the way I see it that is not a lot of "meat" holding that conical in place waiting to be shot at an elk.
Am I missing something or is that enough friction to hold that .503 no excuses in place over the powder. I have been using wads but I read the NE website and he is saying that wads are not recommended but some guys use them anyway and that a fouled barrel will give the bullet more purchase.
what do you guys think?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not see a problem with your bullet moving when shooting a .503 conical in a .500 bore. You can test it out by shaking your rifle upside down, I would be surprised if your conical moves off the powder but it is good to check it out. For safety reasons I have gotten into the habit of checking with my ramrod from time to time during a hunt to make sure the bullet hasn't moved.
Art
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as the bullet holds its position when loaded and stays on the powder it right.
It will upset and fill the bore when fired.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Spike

Josmund have you tried Bullshop 460 gr.? I am curious because they are a little better deal than the NE but I do not know anything about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.