Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I need a new method. >

I need a new method.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need a new method.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I need a new method.

I need to try something different with my shooting at the range. I seem to be having problems with more than one rifle when it comes to getting that third shot into the group. This was the last target I shot during my last visit to the range, and it's consistent with a number of other targets shot with other rifles. I get excited after the second shot and then the let down comes after the third shot. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Make sure the rifle is swabbed the same as the other shots. And then you need to calm down. Sometimes, I take extra time when I check a target, between shots... just to breath, calm down, think of what I did right/wrong or what. Also concentrate on how you position yourself behind the rifle. A lot of times we get lax or be start to creep on the stock the more we shoot. I constantly find myself doing that.. again, slow down, take your time and see if that don't help.

It looks like you have a real good load and are a heck of a shot. So you have to look at all the things that make the shot up, and then try and figure out what you have changed. By the way, it happens to me all the time.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do your shots that are out of group tend to be below the others? To me that indicates a minor flinch - pushing forward with the shoulder just as the trigger breaks.

If that's the problem, you can fix it by just being aware that you might do it. Relax and squeeze. You know the gun is not going to hurt you, but you body wants to anticipate recoil anyway.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with the possibility of a flinch. I tend to do the same thing. If you take a fourth shot where does it go?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

pluckit

I personally have never had really good luck - should say consistent luck shooting 44 cal. sabots. In fact I quit shooting them all together.

Next time you shoot a 3 shot group with a flyer, go down range and see if the 3 spent sabots are lying the ground in the same area.

I have seen green sabots come out of the barrel and go straight up in the air - they just SOMETIMES do weird things..
Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

.. again, slow down, take your time and see if that don't help.
+1 Cayugad's post. I would also have you consider fatigue; are you shooting fast because you are getting tired and want to quickly put rounds on paper so you can finish-up your range session? Like Cayugad said give yourself time between each shot...the paper won't run away.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Spike

Taking your time may be the answer. With out knowing what the temperature is, heat may be a factor. Slow down and let your gun cool down.