Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Scoop

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lord only knows how many saboted bullets I have shot through my in line CVA. I have never had one iota of an issue with "plastic" residue. The powder residue shows up first as far as I can tell .... typically 3-4 shots and the fouling becomes restrictive. I do not recall ever seeing any evidence of the sabot's plastic being stripped off by the lands or otherwise ending up as a part of a fouled rifle barrel.

I am certain most "traditional" shooters would roll their eyes at my Savage 10ML .... and smokeless ! You talk about a long range shooting son of a gun! This gun is !

Now as for my old Lyman "Plainsman"? Still my favorite.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

It's one thing to want to keep a tradition alive, but it's another to say those who don't use PRB aren't really hunters.

I'm all for keeping the tradition alive, and like you, I prefer the looks of side lock. An inline is too much like a modern rifle, and just doesn't hold my fancy. But I wouldn't down you for using it.

And not all of those guys are like that. There are just a few. Most will politely tell the new guy that "those" or "that" isn't discussed here.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's passion for what you love. It's no different than me telling you your football team sucks!

At least they're doing it on their forum.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

The nice thing about Internet forums is they don't cost you anything. So if you don't like the environment you can leave without loss of a cent.

I visit The Muzzleloading Forum now and then. It's not totally my thing (I like it here better). But there's an interesting read there now and then. As for the opinions of some of their members - well, it's their opinion, isn't it. And they have a right to them even if I consider them narrow minded.

Heck, Muley holds the opinion that I shouldn't have modern scopes on my sidelocks. He's wrong of course. But I love him anyway.

Last edited by Semisane; 05-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Is that what you call that?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rodwha
Is that what you call that?
Which that is the that that you are referring to?

(Or in proper English, which "that" is the "that" to which you are referring?)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
The nice thing about Internet forums is they don't cost you anything. So if you don't like the environment you can leave without loss of a cent.

I visit The Muzzleloading Forum now and then. It's not totally my thing (I like it here better). But there's an interesting read there now and then. As for the opinions of some of their members - well, it's their opinion, isn't it. And they have a right to them even if I consider them narrow minded.

Heck, Muley holds the opinion that I shouldn't have modern scopes on my sidelocks. He's wrong of course. But I love him anyway.
No, you are!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old CVA that I've used since 2005. I've shot many hundreds of plastic-saboted rounds through it. I've only every cleaned the barrel with water and windex. No plastic residue/buildup at all, and the rifle shoots much better now than when I bought it....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Spike

As a black powder person I think it is important to know a little about all types of black powder guns. If you buy a lot of them it good to know that a 1in 48 will like round ball and a 1 in 28 will like a sabot. The best advise is to know what kind of gun you have then log on to the fourm that can best assist you. Good luck