Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Scoop

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everytime I read your signature I think you're laughing.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Never underestimate the killing power of a roundball. Now I can not argue. There are better ballistic proficient projectiles out there that far outshine a roundball. But when I read these "experts" claim a roundball is not a killing projectile, or suited for only short range hunting, I just shake my head. I have shot and killed numerous deer with roundball. Every deer I ever shot at, I retrieved. That's not to say that some of them did not run off ... 30 even 50 yards after the hit. But I have had deer do the same after getting slammed with a 30-06. One deer ran over a mile after being hit by the roundball. But that was totally poor shot placement ( gut shot ) and the only thing inefficient was my aim.

I am all in favor of close range shooting with a roundball. But my longest shot to date with a muzzleloader.. 80-90 yards, was done with a roundball. And the strange part is, the deer was 80 yards out (as I recall). I was in a blind, took my time, and with 80 or 90 grains of Pyrodex RS placed that ball high in the kill zone behind the shoulder. This rifle was a .54 caliber and the ball was cast at home. The amazing part is this (as experts tell us) the inefficient and hardly lethal roundball, passed through the first deer and hit a second deer I had not seen, that was standing behind the first deer. That ball still had the power to hit the spine of the second deer, completely break the spine, and lodge under the skin on the other side of the spine. Both deer dropped in their tracks from the inefficient roundball.

Carry your roundball. It will do the job. The main thing as true with anything we shoot... shot placement. Put that ball in the right place, and you will kill the game.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntAway
LOL, I guess I'm a full fledged tramp cause I like em all.

I shoot RB a lot. I shoot full size conicals and I'm not adverse to shooting to shooting saboted bullets, centrefires and rimfires to boot.
Their site is for "Traditional" shooters so it isn't that they're close minded, just not open to the modern versions.

HA
Yeah and I don't see any rules other than people's opinions that they try to make truth saying that someone can't do whatever they want. If you want to shoot traditional guns and modern, do it. If you want to scope a flintlock, do it. I personally don't care what anyone shoots or hunts with as long as it is legal and they are enjoying it. This whole thing of people making the shooting/hunting standards for what other people should live by cracks me up.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I certainly understand a traditional forum keeping a traditional stance, but to say that even the use of a conical isn't really hunting isn't the way to go, and is closed minded.

One of the fellows there was complaining that the traditional ways were slowly dying out, and someone else stated that if they weren't so snotty about the absolute need to do things their way maybe some would be inclined to listen and eventually get involved.

In a way that was me. I wasn't interested in a PRB because I thought it was an absolute piece of garbage that couldn't be very effective. The more modern way of thinking seems to be that you need something somewhat heavy for size. But after reading post after post with pics of guys sitting next to a deer shot from 80 yds using a PRB convinced me that despite the feeble amount of energy a RB can do quite well, much better than one might think.

I am glad that we have people who keep the traditional ways alive, and that care enough about it to teach others. But I don't think it's a good think when you begin to bash anthers choice and tell them they are not hunters. There is enough division. As long as it's legal we should respect the others choice for what it is. JMO

I am now quite curious about a flintlock. I think I'll eventually have to get one. I like the history.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it's the Traditional forum I'm thinking about, they clearly state that modern projectiles and inlines aren't discussed there...They won't even discuss cartridge guns...

Kinda like why we have Men's and Women's bathrooms...

Not sure the reason for your posting but to think that you can shoot any projectile out of any muzzle loader just doesn't fly...The depth of rifling and rate of twist has much to do with what can be shot accurately out of a muzzleloader...

Round balls are very efficient killers, remember from the 1600's to 1860s that is what was mainly in use, same with a flintlock...

There is an art to hunting and being successful with flintlocks...It is much easier to kill deer with an inline and a scope...Might want to learn about inlines over here and flintlocks over there...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's really simple. If you don't buy into the traditional way. Don't join the forum.

I'm also a member of a bamboo fly rod forum. Go there and talk about graphite rods, and see the results.

Some guys get carried away sometimes, but saying traditional is being an elitist. Sort of makes you an elitist for modern ML. Most guys don't try to push their way on you unless you try and push your way on them.

Talking about sabots on a traditional forum is just asking for some flak.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Knowing that it's a traditional forum I haven't mentioned things such as that. I've noticed that others have and seemed to get misinformation, which is why I came here.

Those who mentioned modern things such as sabots deserved to be chastised there. I don't fault the traditional guys from putting him/them in their place when it comes to the use of sabots.

I don't agree with the attitude towards using conicals though. Maybe Minies weren't used much for hunting unless you count men. But they are traditional projectiles. So are PP bullets. Not really used for hunting from what I understand, but certainly PC.

Anyway, the point was to ask about the fouling left from plastic sabots.

My Deerstalker has a 1:48" twist, but deep grooves (~.520"). I'm not sure how 230 grn .459" bullets would work. I'd like to think that a mid range twist ought to do fairly well with a mid length bullet. But my sense of logic has certainly let me down before.

I'm just unsure of what to do with these otherwise useless bullets.

Last edited by rodwha; 05-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the guys are into pre 1830. No conicals at that point.

Maxi-balls will shoot good in your gun.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Powerbelts work great in my Lyman deer stalker 54 cal I keep the loads under 80 gr. I get very good accuracy.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rodwha
True Muley, but they state that there is no reason for them. Some have even stated that it is unsportsmen like to use anything but a PRB, that even traditional conicals are terrible. You either need to learn the trajectory and windage or get closer.

I think it's a little closed minded.
I peruse the traditional forums from time to time because I find a lot of helpfull info there. Although I own several, I personally don't care to use in-line rifles as I get more enjoyment from shooting and hunting with sidelocks and PRB or solid conicals myself. That being said, I don't care who uses inlines or sabots. The folks on the "other" forum may seem closed minded to some, but they're just trying to stay with traditional style fireams and methods.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.