Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi >

"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi

Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What they can't do is stop us from shooting a muzzleloader. We can always shoot/hunt them if we really like them. Not matter what the season is called.
Pete,

You're right about that but with the recent incident that happened in Boston, it may soon become very difficult to get black powder for those of us that prefer to use it. If black powder skyrockets in price or becomes difficult to obtain (like .22 rimfire ammo has), the resulting loss of traditional muzzleloading hunters in Pennsylvania may prompt the state to enact similar measures in an effort to re-coup lost revenue. I hope Pennsylvania never does this with our traditional ML season.

BPS
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought I was the only one concerned about that happening. I mean, I'm not real worried, but it's definitely a concern for me.
I would certainly appreciate MN allowing scopes. I don't think not allowing them stops people from taking long shots. I think it increases people wounding deer, just from a few stories I've heard.
I do know that if MN specifically were to start allowing rifle/shotgun, I would be done with muzzleloaders. I'd get shot for sure. This is why I initially got started with them- I can hunt the entire season and not see anyone else. Not the case during shotgun season.

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Pete,

You're right about that but with the recent incident that happened in Boston, it may soon become very difficult to get black powder for those of us that prefer to use it. If black powder skyrockets in price or becomes difficult to obtain (like .22 rimfire ammo has), the resulting loss of traditional muzzleloading hunters in Pennsylvania may prompt the state to enact similar measures in an effort to re-coup lost revenue. I hope Pennsylvania never does this with our traditional ML season.

BPS
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I first saw the explosion in Boston. My first thought was it was black powder. The huge white cloud of smoke couldn't have been anything else. My second thought was this is going to make getting BP harder. Of course, I was also thinking about the people getting hurt, and what coward did this.

Well, the powder question was answered fast.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/new...cfm?id=341435&
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I thought I was the only one concerned about that happening. I mean, I'm not real worried, but it's definitely a concern for me.
I would certainly appreciate MN allowing scopes. I don't think not allowing them stops people from taking long shots. I think it increases people wounding deer, just from a few stories I've heard.
I do know that if MN specifically were to start allowing rifle/shotgun, I would be done with muzzleloaders. I'd get shot for sure. This is why I initially got started with them- I can hunt the entire season and not see anyone else. Not the case during shotgun season.
I don't think allowing scopes would make much difference in the number of hunters, remember in Mn most get their deer during the rifle season (you can only take one buck). The hunting is a little harder during ML season, it is well after the rut, generally the weather is much colder/snow, I think the Mn DNR does a very good job regulating the seasons, as to the scopes It really makes no difference to me, except as I am getting older my eyes could use some help, but if they get to bad I can apply for a waver, I hope I never have to.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't get to hunt the rut in Colorado for deer. It never held us back.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
When I first saw the explosion in Boston. My first thought was it was black powder. The huge white cloud of smoke couldn't have been anything else. My second thought was this is going to make getting BP harder. Of course, I was also thinking about the people getting hurt, and what coward did this.

Well, the powder question was answered fast.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/new...cfm?id=341435&
He can "introduce" the legislation all he wants but it doesn't mean it's going to pass. They are having enough trouble getting gun control stuff through the Senate let alone anywhere past that. The fact is, background checks wouldn't have done any good.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's true that congress can't get anything passed. However, that's not stopping the states from passing laws that congress could never pass.