Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi >

"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Primitive Weapons" Season Bites The Dust In Mississippi

Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Exactly Muley! Even in modern season when I hunted with the gang ... I carried a .54 caliber Renegade loaded with roundball. And I always got my deer too. So no matter what they call a season, I think those that want to muzzleloader hunt will do so. But it does put more hunters in the woods, harvests more deer, and puts more money in State coffers, by doing away with the muzzleloader season as Semisane explained here.
I too hunt with ML exclusively regardless of the season but I don't see that as the issue. It may not be this way everywhere but in TN and VA where I hunt, the early ML season is during the peak of the rut. So now you're going to have a considerable more amount of people out in the woods. While everyone is entitled to hunt, that’s not favorable for me as I hunt mainly public land.

It wouldn't generate any more revenue either because the license you pay for is for the weapon of choice. So in many cases, you might lose money because people are no longer buying a ML license.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting with a modern inline muzzle loader (imop) can hardly be described as "Primitive Hunting" Here in Mn we are not allowed to use scopes I always "chuckle" at that, Like that is suppose to make it more "Primitive". I have used my muzzleloader for different seasons, I just look at it as a single shot rifle. However I will say some of the southern states have some Odd regulations, (I don't live there so I will refrain from any conclusions) jmop
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DocD
Hunting with a modern inline muzzle loader (imop) can hardly be described as "Primitive Hunting" Here in Mn we are not allowed to use scopes I always "chuckle" at that, Like that is suppose to make it more "Primitive". I have used my muzzleloader for different seasons, I just look at it as a single shot rifle. However I will say some of the southern states have some Odd regulations, (I don't live there so I will refrain from any conclusions) jmop

Hunters were using scopes 200 years ago.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I too hunt with ML exclusively regardless of the season but I don't see that as the issue. It may not be this way everywhere but in TN and VA where I hunt, the early ML season is during the peak of the rut. So now you're going to have a considerable more amount of people out in the woods. While everyone is entitled to hunt, that’s not favorable for me as I hunt mainly public land.

TNHagies, you called it. In VA on public land, I find that the deer pretty much go nocturnal by mid season with all the crowds. Some of the public land is too dangerous (for me) to hunt regular season since it turns into a shooting gallery. I like that the ML season is right during the rut. Maybe a little selfish for me, but hope it does not change.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive hunted as long as i can remember with a ML during the CF season here. Its always been with a scoped inline though.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ram2
Hunters were using scopes 200 years ago.
I don't if that is the reason or not, I was being vicious, it is about the only reason I can think of (other then that with the use of a scope it may entice a hunter to take a longer shot then is ethical possible). I like the way Mn runs the hunt, it is generally about 2 weeks after the reg. season, past the rut, & only muzzle loading & Bow are open,
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did they give a reason for the change? If they have too many deer it is better to thin the herd than to have disease.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

The evolution in Mississippi, as in Louisiana, went from;

iron sighted muzzle loaders, to

scope sighted muzzle loaders, to

single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifle with metallic cartridges loaded with either black powder or modern smokeless powder, .38 caliber or larger, of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, and reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer, to

single shot, breech loading rifles, .35 caliber or larger having an exposed hammer that uses metallic cartridges, to

the current change of NO RESTRICTIONS. (Louisiana hasn't taken this step yet. But it will happen sooner or later.)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Spike

I have sold a couple of t/c encore .35 whelen barrels to fella in Mississippi over the last few years. Now I can probably be able to buy them back for ten cents on the dollar.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
The same can be said for archery equipment these days, but what only allowing open sights, conicals, loose powder, etc does is reduce the effective range and thereby lower the success rate. Yes, there will always be guys who can shoot game at 300-400 yards with an open sight muzzy, but for most of us 100-150 yards is our max effective range.

And I will put cayugad shooting his sidelock renegade up against you shooting a inline with open sights accuracy wise. At least mine is as accurate as my Knight out to 150 yards although I have never shot an animal that far.

So lets take Colorado for example. If they starting allowing sabots and scopes, the harvest numbers would increase and they would have to lower the number of tags issued, thereby lowering my chance of drawing the tag.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.