Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Too cold?!?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too cold?!?

The rifle was loaded yesterday morning, and we went for a hunt/hike in fresh 8" deep snow. Last night the rifle was left in the truck loaded with 270g Deep Curl, 110g Blackhorn powder, green crush rib sabot, W209 primer. This morning it seemed too cold to hike, with just a slight breeze, so i made a plan to shoot the rifle, and come home. Ended up shooting the rifle 3 shots at 200 yard before the breeze was really noticeable.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

With that temp, my rifle would still be loaded.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Semisane,

Oops, i almost called you halfwit, sorry, hopefully i won't ever do that. At any rate, if you think about it, shooting paper from the heated pickup cabin, was a way better choice than trudging though the snow. It was 6 degree, and there was a breeze, and there was near 6" of snow still standing. Wind was bitter and sharp. I am thinking you would have maybe done the same as me, or perhaps you would have never left the house.

If we stayed home, then what? Too early for malt. Too early for a nap. No games on yet. Wife doesn't play around in the morning. Peanuts were fed to the jays, crows, and squirrel. Seeds were fed to the Juncos. Neither Scheels or Cabela was open. Neither the driveway nor the front walk needed shoveling. Shooting the rifle was the only near/partial sane option.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was a nasty morning here Ron, a chilly fifty-two degrees with a light mist and a touch of wind. But I toughed it out and had my second session with the Rescued Sidekick. (I shoulda` stayed in bed.)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who was it that said, "I shoulda stood in bed"? Was it Angelo Dundee? I actually don't know. Oh wait, a boxer that Angelo was training?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Ya did good!!!! Yes this winter is getting looooooong, & it aint done yet, the guys up in the valley are going to get wet this year!!! (again) does the cab of your truck get a little smokie?? btw good shooting, Doc
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

200 yards.. that's not all that bad shooting. I mean for you it might be. For me I would have been happy to hit the cardboard. I just have not been shooting very much this winter. I have had a terrible winter myself. I came down with a sciatic nerve attack early this winter. Some days, are just unbearable. Too much snow shoveling this year I guess. But I have to get better soon. Mud season is coming.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hadn't had much snow this winter until just last week. Didn't really have a lot, only about 4" here, but up where i shot, and hike, it was about 8" or perhaps more. Them sciatic nerve issues are horrible. Hope you heal some each day.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
.....................does the cab of your truck get a little smokie??........................
Surprisingly very little smoke comes into the truck. The air movement always, for some reason unknown to me, seems to be away from the rifle or toward one side or the other. On the rare occasion when smoke comes toward me, it is awful.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winter is taking it's time leaving up here too. Still 3 ft of snow in the bush but it's starting to settle a bit. We get some nice sunny weather or better yet a bit of rain and we'll be in full melt. Two or three weeks after that it'll be blackfly seaason. Oh Yeah.

Back to your question. If I'm not hunting and just punching paper, 15-20'F is good shooting temps. Much colder than that the fingers don't work too well.

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.