Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Omega Z5 owner questions >

New Omega Z5 owner questions

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Omega Z5 owner questions

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Omega Z5 owner questions

Hey all, was wondering what you all think of this rifle. And if you have any suggestions with it. I have a scoped Remington 7oo ml that shots great. Using 100 grains of triple 7 and a 250 grain shockwave sabot and #11 caps. Will be new to using 209 primers. Also wondered if crud ring is a issue using the Omega. Never had a problem with it in the Remington. Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may get lucky, but it's likely you will have a crud ring.

Some of us (including me) don't think it's a big deal because we usually wipe the bore between shots anyway. But pretty soon somebody in going to jump in and tell you to shoot Blackhorn. But it won't be me.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one, mine will shoot really well, but can not use 777 in my area crud ring is so bad as to make it impractical. Like Semi says around here we use Blackhorn because it takes 5 minutes of scrubbing to get the crud ring out every shot. I believe that it has to do with the area you live in rather than the gun involved.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you didn't have a problem with it in the Remington, at least in theory then there shouldn't be an issue with it in the Omega, assuming you're doing everything the same. BH209 will eliminate the possibility of it, but I can't sit here and tell you that it's a superior powder. I like it alright, however I still haven't decided that I'll stick with it exclusively.
All you can do is play around a little.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

biscuit eater

My prediction is, you will experience a crud ring. Using the 209 primer, in lieu of the #11 cap will virtually guarantee a crud ring. You probably can reduce the crud ring by using reduced strength primer such as the 777 primer. You also could use them adapters made by PR to reduce the crud ring.

Swabbing between shots can be relaxing, and will allow you to enjoy shooting 777 powder in your new rifle. Others, except Semisane, have pointed out another option; the choice is yours to make.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

I have one. It's a very functional and accurate rifle. I personally love the drop breech design.

I did make some minor modifications which helped accuracy. I cut the lid of a yogurt cup and placed it in the bottom of the lug box to raise the barrel just a bit. Plus, I sanded a few spots on the barrel channel to make it free floating.

I also filled the hollow stock with painters calk. It added a little weight but I like the solid feel.

When cleaning, don't forget to remove the firing pin and swab out behind the screw.

After trying pyrodex, T7 and others, I only shoot BH 209. The Omega Breech plug will be 100% reliable with BH209. I use Remingtom STS primers.

I've found the tight barrel requires Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots. Mine likes a 300 grain bullet with a CR sabot and 100 grains of BH209.

Enjoy the gun!

Last edited by Josmund; 03-17-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replys, if I decide to use bh 209 what do you use to clean it with. Just having to clean with hot water was a big plus with triple 7. I don't mind swabbing bore after a few shots. But the really bad crud rings have got me concerned.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a number of things that will work all are smokeless powder cleaners. I have use a mix of Hoppes #9 and alcohol a 50/50 mix which works well also Hoppes Elite cleaner and Montana X cowboy and blackhorn 209 cleaners. Several other people have mentioned other smokeless cleaners that work well for them.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
biscuit eater

My prediction is, you will experience a crud ring. Using the 209 primer, in lieu of the #11 cap will virtually guarantee a crud ring. You probably can reduce the crud ring by using reduced strength primer such as the 777 primer. You also could use them adapters made by PR to reduce the crud ring.

Swabbing between shots can be relaxing, and will allow you to enjoy shooting 777 powder in your new rifle. Others, except Semisane, have pointed out another option; the choice is yours to make.
This also what I have ecperienced with my .50cal Z5 & 777 pellets.
I've been using the lighter ML 209's both the Hodgkins & the Remington Cleanbores. Can't remember which had the least crud ring. It does built pretty quick after a few shots if I do not swab between shot's, which I do anyways since mine groups well from a clean barrel. In the past I've also used the VariFlame adapters and it shot really clean with hardly any blowback and minmal crud ring. Went to the light 209's out of convience more than anything since it shoots good witht them as well. Been shooting 2-50gr pellets with a Scorpion .45 cal 240gr funnel point mag & crushed-ribbed sabot.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 03-29-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Got to go shoot omega for first time. I decided to go with triple 7 for powder. Since I'm familiar with it. Shot hornady 250grn. sst and 240gr hornady xtp's. Both loaded fairly easy. Could get 3 shots before I had to swab barrel. Worked up a 4in group using 90grns. triple 7 and 250 grn sst. at 100 yards. Was happy with how gun shot 1st time out and limited time. Gun felt good to shoot and really like the drop breech. Used teflon tape and breech plug grease on breech plug. Breech plug broke loose pretty easy. And gun was easy to clean. With a scope and some practise I think this gun could shoot better than I'm capable. O ver all am well pleased with gun so far. Can't wait to get it out again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.