Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do you decide? >

How do you decide?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you decide?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
........................I could basically get a scoped Mountaineer for the price of an Ultra Lite, but I have to hunt muzzleloader season with open sights anyway so a scope would just be for fun/load development.
Just so you know, i couldn't get my eye low enough to use the iron sights on my Mountaineer, because my face was overly tight to the stock, and no way could go lower. That was just me, and i know we all are different.........just saying.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was my concern with the Ultra Lite. The thumbhole stocks Knight uses fits me very comfortably. I like it a lot. But I got kind of spoiled using a Pro Hunter w/24" barrel. The overall length of it was 37 1/2" and it was easy to use. So I liked it and that's the appeal of the Ultra Lite. I don't care so much about the weight, but the short length was nice.
So I'm not sure.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

just as a previous owner FWIW we talked the other day of my dislikes of the mountaineer but when it came to the extra length, it was well balanced and the TH laminate stock is sweet... That said if these are the two you are deciding on, I just don't see the extra cost for the UL it is a lb lighter and unless you are walking many miles up and down mountains, I just don't see that being a factor. Next is length, well unless you are hunting heavy thickets, you will not notice the difference while hunting, or I didn't.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

But the ultra-lite doesn't have sights ... so what's your plan?

If it was me with those two guns, (assuming you can get sights on the UL) my decision would probably be based on my hunting style and how the SIZE of those guns came into play. Obviously they are both great and both shoot lights out, what matters is which one fits you and your hunting style best. If the size doesn't make much of a difference for you, go for the best deal.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was looking for the (1) that I wanted I guess I got lucky when I bought the Accura V1. It was everything I ever wanted in a MLer from the shouldering to the Bergara Barrel and it's length and it's accuracy. After a few outings I knew it was the one for me, I liked it so much I bought another and then another wich is still (NIB) I now have my perfect MLer's that will last me the rest of My MLing life and I no longer have to look any further or wonder what to buy.
Now if I can only find Sabots, Bullets, Primers and Powder I'll be in shape.
(BP)
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
When I was looking for the (1) that I wanted I guess I got lucky when I bought the Accura V1. It was everything I ever wanted in a MLer from the shouldering to the Bergara Barrel and it's length and it's accuracy. After a few outings I knew it was the one for me, I liked it so much I bought another and then another wich is still (NIB) I now have my perfect MLer's that will last me the rest of My MLing life and I no longer have to look any further or wonder what to buy.
Now if I can only find Sabots, Bullets, Primers and Powder I'll be in shape.
(BP)
That's just wrong Breechplug. Plane WRONG!
Everyone needs a round ball shooting .54 to make their life complete. Now go out and get one!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's just wrong Breechplug. Plane WRONG!
Everyone needs a round ball shooting .54 to make their life complete. Now go out and get one!
Oh but I do have one Semi, I have a 50 Cal Dixie Gun Works (Poor Boy) it was my first Mler and the one I got started with into Mling and took my first MLer Buck with. I still get her out every now and then and probably should take her on a hunt, she was good to me.
(BP)