Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Vision Breech Plug >

Vision Breech Plug

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vision Breech Plug

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Vision Breech Plug

A few people have asked about the Vision NFPJ breech plug. I think it has been re-worked also. No magnet in the plug and I think it has a different face - flat...

BH information... the plug was shot with BH-209 for approximately 40 shots. Fifteen of the shots were with a Federal 209A and 25 of them with a Winchester W209. I shot the W209's after Tom had finished sighting it with the 209A. In my shots not even a hint of a firing problem. Actually I for got to even think about it..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Strange looking BP.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Strange looking BP.
I would agree in the norm. Gordy, Knights gun smith, designed this new plug to reduce the blow back pressure on the nose of the primer by increasing the volumn of gas that the 'flash channel' could contain - allowing the projectile to get out of the barrel before the heavy push on the primer would induce blowback in the breech.

It seems to be very effective, even without a perfect seal on the primer in the BP you very little fouling in the breech area...

So somethin is working right...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hard to argue with success.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

There used to be a magnet in the breech plug? For what, to hold the 209 primer in place?

That looks totally different then what I would have thought a BlackHorn 209 plug would look like. I guess I am used to the hollowed out versions. But as long as it works, as my dear old Grandpa used to say.. if it works, don't fix it.

That is a lot of shooting. Did you have to ream out the one part of it with a drill bit from time to time?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Spike

Do you know if it fits the older Vision? I have two that use the NFPJ but they it is the older style.
Thanks
John
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
There used to be a magnet in the breech plug? For what, to hold the 209 primer in place?
It was used to hold the primer in place - why I am not sure, since when you close the action it can not go anywhere.

That looks totally different then what I would have thought a BlackHorn 209 plug would look like. I guess I am used to the hollowed out versions. But as long as it works, as my dear old Grandpa used to say.. if it works, don't fix it.
I know most expect the 'hollowed out cavity' as that was everyone thought was necessary. But it is really not need to ignite BH. What is needed is a plug that, for the lack of a better word, breaths better. Allows the volume of gas to flow trhough the plug, the flash hole to the powder. I long ago suggested the longer, larger diameter flash channel was a progressive thing.

That is a lot of shooting. Did you have to ream out the one part of it with a drill bit from time to time?
With BH it is normally a good thought to twist out the carbon in the BP... I just forgot or did not think about it because I normally shoot T7 which really does create this type of build very quickly as BH can and does.

The BP does have a 5/32" inch flash channel and when I did finally remember to clean the channel at home it was tough to get the 5/23" bit to twist in. But once it bottomed it was easy to clean the rest.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jcampoli
Do you know if it fits the older Vision? I have two that use the NFPJ but they it is the older style.
Thanks
John
I am 99% positive this new plug will work in the older Vision. I would also tell you this plug is a heavy(dense) metal and it is very hard. Normal bits stuggle with it and tapping it with a regular tap will create you nightmares if not a broken tap. This plug IMO is a far better plug than the original...

I can tell for sure that an old Vision plug fit the new Vision just fine...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Spike

Thanks, I will have to order one and give it a try.
John
Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks,

Ive had several people ask about the new plug so they could use BH209. Now i know how to describe it. The machine work looks like Lehigh's quality. It also looks a little like the plug in my NULA which has been totally reliable.