Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader Hunting >

Muzzleloader Hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Hunting

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

I take it you'd be against a Malcolm type scope?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe he was trying to get something he was allowed to actually use. I think he has (or had) a nice Nikon if he wants to scope it with magnification.

Muley, what was the deal with the 1x? Just couldn't see good enough through it? I've never looked through one.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like Ron mentioned. It's like looking at the wrong end of binos. Everything was farther away.

I might be able to live with that, but the Sightron had the smallest eye box i've ever seen on a scope. You had the be perfect in one position when looking through the scope. That would have been way too annoying.

I don't know. I've been using iron sights for so long. It's hard to use anything else. Even if it means hunting at shorter and shorter ranges.

There is a plus for hunting at short ranges. I don't need to use heavy loads.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by rodwha
I take it you'd be against a Malcolm type scope?
Nothing wrong with a Malcolm style scope:

This one is a Leatherwood 3x. I stopped being vain a long time ago. My eyes suck and a scope helps me take a good humane shot! Not being lazy, but just practical.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

That is one handsome rifle rafsob!

JW
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

this is looking through a 1x32mm Thompson Center Hawkens Hunter scope. I find little trouble looking through the 1x scopes. In fact they are fast to point and gather light as good as your eyes do.

Before we were allowed magnification on scopes, many of my rifles used them. I hated peep sights back in the marsh because the deer always seemed to come out a little after 4:00 PM and season ended at 4:20 PM so you can just picture how dark it gets back in a Balsam/Cedar grove (for those that never went in one) and there were a couple times with a peep sight, that in good consciousness, I had to let the deer walk as I could not see the front sight well enough.

I went to the 1x scope and all that changed. The RED DOT was not the answer, the peep was not the answer (for me) but the 1x seemed to get the job done. Actually the Nikon 1x20 that I sold to a forum member was perfect back there.

It always amazed me how that simple cross hair aiming point increased my accuracy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
......................It's like looking at the wrong end of binos. Everything was farther away.

I might be able to live with that, but the Sightron had the smallest eye box i've ever seen on a scope. You had the be perfect in one position when looking through the scope......................

The photo is looking through a 1X Nikon scope, looking out our dining window with the crosshair on a rock in a bird bath about 70 yard away.The photo kinda shows what Muley Hunter is referring to when he wrote 'wrong end of binos'. The neighbor has 2 sheds. They are at the same distance from our dining window, however the shed seen through the scope looks some further away, than the shed seen outside the scope. The same thing happens with the fence posts around our garden. The posts viewed through the scope look further away than the posts to the left of the scope.

The Nikon does have the advantage of a large 'eye box', and one can easily see through the scope with the eye at many different locations.

Using the 1X scope instead of iron sights allows me to shoot more better. Thankfully, non magnified optic were allowed during muzzle loader season this past year for the first time. Not having to squint my eyes so to be able to kinda focus on the front sight, improved my aim at critters, and the 3 shots i made using the 1X scope were about perfect, and resulted in 3 venisons in the freezer
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great example of the difference in prospective views Ron.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by JW
That is one handsome rifle rafsob!

JW
It is! And I didn't know how accurate these guns are when using a scope to better my aim. I love it.

This is the only side lock I have a scope on. I try to stay as traditional as possible. For me these rifles are uniquely suited for hunting in the woods of Virginia, inside 75 yds.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

One reason I went to inlines - I need a scope!

Dave.......JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.