Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader Hunting >

Muzzleloader Hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Hunting

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's classic coming from anybody on this forum (including you), but I can try.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, I know I do it all the time. As do others. The free and easy flow of conversation is one of the reasons I like this forum. But I've never dinged anyone else for drifting off topic.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been dinged a lot, so call it payback.

I'll use your above post as an example.

I was hoping to get some traditional hunters to chime in on the article. I didn't want to get into long range shots.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

But Muley, you're my favorite dingee!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happy Valentines Day Muley!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Aw heck. I'm just feeling bitchy today. Damp cold rain for the last four days must be getting to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I've read from many that 75 yds is long range with PRB, though many others have said 125 yds is doable with a PRB on medium game. Most of this seemed to have been .50 or .54 cal.

I was hoping that I could do 100 yds, but after shooting at the 50 yd range I realize my eyesight has been degrading, and 75 yds would likely be my max unless I get glasses. And then I'm still not sure about how well a .50 cal PRB would hold up at 100 yds.

Then again, I began with a very skeptical view of a RB and felt the only good hunting projectile would be a conical or modern bullet. But after reading countless stories of passthroughs on deer and such with a PRB out to 100 yds and more I felt it was worth a try. Besides, most of our deer here in Texas aren't much bigger than a dog with long legs!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
................ Do you hunt primarily with the 50 or 45 now?
Mostly a 50. Only time i hunt with the 45, is when hunting the prairie. Most of my hunting this year has been in the timber.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

rodwha, I no longer have any .50 round ball shooters even though they did well for me. But I've never personally shot a deer with a .50 ball beyond 60 yards or so.

I moved up to two .54s and one .58 ball shooters and feel comfortable out to 125 yards with them (though I've yet to shoot a deer that far with any of them). I would have confidence with a .50 ball out there at 100 yards with a well placed shot into the heart/lung region. Especially on smaller deer.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried to convince myself that i was good for 75 yds with a peep sight. I was just kidding myself. I'm good for more like 25 yds, and that is fuzzy.

I came up with a new plan. I have a special license to use a scope during ML season. It always bothered me to have an advantage, and I never used a scope in anything but rifle season.

The problem is I really want to hunt the ML season. The weather is nice, there's less hunters, and the tags aren't too hard to get. Sort of. Breaking my back has shown me how easily I can get hurt in the mountains. I don't think hunting high in the mountains alone when there's snow and ice on the ground is too smart for me anymore. So, the ML season is all I really should be hunting.

All I want is to be able to see as well as someone with good vision using a peep sight without any other advantage. Then it dawned on me. A 1X scope. It will give me a clear sight picture with no advantage of magnification.

I know in states that have no scopes in ML season have like Idaho and others let you use a scope if you have a disability, but it has to be a 1X scope. Colorado lets you use any scope. That's not right.

So, that's my new plan for the Wolverine. A Sightron S1 1x20 scope. We'll see how that works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.