Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic - How Fast Can A Gator Run? >

Off Topic - How Fast Can A Gator Run?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic - How Fast Can A Gator Run?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off Topic - How Fast Can A Gator Run?

Check out the video below. It was shot at Eagles Golf Course, Tampa FL, across the street from Tampa Bay Downs/Sunshine Park.

I think I'd be real careful about playing a ball that landed close to that lagoon.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=31996

Last edited by Semisane; 02-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I was watching a show called "gator boys" and I believe they said an alligator can run 15mph for a short distance. I bet it depends on how big the thing is too. On that show, some of them little ones sure could spin around and face their aggressor fast.

And I once had a gang of workers roof a house I owned, for me. One of the men was from Louisiana but I don't remember where. He was telling me when he was a kid, they used to tease the alligators and if they ever ran after them to make a sudden right turn. He claimed they can .. for a short distance, out run a man. He was a good worker, but I could hardly understand his English when he talked. especially when he'd get excited. He was also telling us about a swamp beast called a Rugaru. Like I said, he was hard to understand but could sure tell a story or two.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

They can definately outrun you for a short distance.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

That was awesome. Two bull gators. One big one and one real big one. Looks like they may have ended up at a truce. (Golfers taste better than other gators).
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Loup Garou is a Cajun werewolf Cayugad.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking two 495 grain Trashcans should do it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rougarou

Last edited by Underclocked; 02-06-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you get a lot of alligators ever in the city? I am sure you have snakes and such. But looking at that video you posted.. those big boys would put a world of hurt on anyone they encountered. Hate to have one hiding under a car or porch.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, not in the downtown area. Many of the suburban areas have bayous, canals, lakes, etc., and gators do show up in them. Some pretty big ones too.

A thing that happens fairly often is some guy catches a smallish gator and brings it home. They soon realize gators don't make the best pet, so they release it in the lagoon at the nearest park, subdivision, or golf course.

It's funny to be working a topwater bait for fish and have a three-foot gator trying to catch up to it.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

As a kid I lived near Valdosta, GA on Brooks AFB, which had a lake by the flight line full of gators. Somehow one large one had crossed the highway and was in the golf course pond, which spurred the security police to come get it.
I loved fishing in that lake, and had my mom take me over there predawn so I could get busy fishing during prime time. But because I couldn't see well enough I waited in the car 'til first light!
I was walking along the cattails when I realized just how close to a small (4') gator I was. Doubtful it would have tried for me, but it still made me jump back! Couldn't believe how stupid I was behaving when I should have known better!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Oh, and indeed they do move very fast of a short distance. Much faster than you or I.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.