Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic

Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off Topic

We were down on the lower Arkansas river looking around this weekend. Gonna do some fishing down there this spring and summer. We were on the east side boat ramp and I walked over to the rocks to have a better look at the dam and dang near walked on top of him. It was cold so he wasnt moving very fast. He's a youngin between 6-7 feet.
Attached Thumbnails Off Topic-dsc_0015.jpg   Off Topic-dsc_0025.jpg   Off Topic-dsc_0016.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Is this the normal for those parts? I didn't know they were that far North.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Spike

I was surprised myself, didn't think they would be there.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gator - the other white meat.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Arkansas River here just has trout.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Very interesting post. As others said, I was never aware you had them in Arkansas. Are they common or is it a minor influx of population? But then again, why not. It stays for the most part pretty warm. Especially in the southern end of the State.

I used to visit friends in Arkansas. One lived in Benton and the other in Little Rock. That Little Rock is a night mare to drive in. And we used to go to the Hot Springs of course. But it is a very pretty State you live in. And I guess a little more wild then I ever gave it credit for. I knew you had snakes though. While I am not afraid of snakes (my best friend will run from a grass snake in absolute terror.) I just as soon stay away from the ones that are poisonous.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you could have had a nice belt and boots.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gators are native to southern Arkansas. I have seen one dead here in the northeast part where I live, but it was transplanted here several years ago. They are not native to north Arkansas. A couple of years ago the game and fish opened up a limited season here for gators, permit drawing only. I have never applied for it, might have to now.
Dave we have lots of snakes here. Copperheads and cottonmouths through out the state and rattlers scattered around in certain areas. I have never seen a coral snake here, not sure if they are here or not. I work in the ER so I see my share of snake bites, copperheads are by far the majority. They do tend to ruin a persons day when that happens.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
I think you could have had a nice belt and boots.
Those boots would have been expensive if I got caught. An illegal gator use to be close to shooting a bald eagle here.