Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullets

Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Bullets

Been considering swaged bullets . Anybody got an opinion on rather there is an advantage over cast and why . I have always used cast but am considering swaged just to see how they do.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is an entire different process as I understand. If you do decide to do that, I would be very interested to know all the detail of it.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

copper jacketed, systems out there to use 9mm cases for 40cal and 40s&w cases for 45cal, can copy xtps. you can use standard bullets molds from the cores

straight lead, lead wire can be bought from rotometal.

both methods, need a strong press. little pricey for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very pricy to get set up to swage properly. You might want to contact Mark Lynch at hunter280man AT MSN DOT com for good info. Mark got all setup to produce some excellent bullets and gained a following, then ran into licensing issues (bogus crap!).
Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Mom works with a lady whose husband swaged his own bullets. I went over and saw the setup one time. He was out of lead wire at the time, but said he was able to source it locally from a welding shop that would add his order on and avoid shipping. I believe he said he bought his press setup from a guy in Utah that also made the dies or molds or whatever they're called when you swage. As for a bullet he said he experimented a little and found he like a 250 gr. PR bullet best and sent the bullet to the guy who then made an exact copy of it. All in all he said he was into it for between $900-1000, but figured he could produce bullets now for a few cents each and it paid for itself after a few years for as much as he was shooting. He also said he would never go back to casting.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Swaged is more uniform with no air pockets.

Like forged compared to cast for steel.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Swaged is more uniform with no air pockets.

Like forged compared to cast for steel.
That's what got me to thinking about this whole idea . The more I think about it the appealing it is
It would be ideal for PP bullets

Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could take donations to help offset the cost, and then you could make some for board members for the cost of lead or something.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
You could take donations to help offset the cost, and then you could make some for board members for the cost of lead or something.
That's a thought . Everybody let me know how many bullets, what diameter and weight , you want

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you make a 500gr bullet that recoils like a 250gr?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.