Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Don't Need It - Probably Gonna Buy It >

Don't Need It - Probably Gonna Buy It

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Don't Need It - Probably Gonna Buy It

Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Don't Need It - Probably Gonna Buy It

Hey guys, there's a guy in my area who has a two year old New England Firearms .50 caliber up for sale - synthetic stock, stainless steel barrel, along with an "ammo box" (?), cleaning supplies, powder and bullets. Price seems to be reasonable.

I'll probably buy it to play with. But I need to know what I'm getting into.

First off, I think I read here or on another forum that the NEF guns had some kind of spring contraption for holding the primer, and/or there were two types of breech plugs (an original and an improved model). Does anyone know anything about this?

Secondly, does anyone have a feel for what a reasonable price would be for such a gun (assuming very good condition)?

Last edited by Semisane; 01-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey guys, there's a guy in my area who has a two year old New England Firearms .50 caliber up for sale - synthetic stock, stainless steel barrel, along with an "ammo box" (?), cleaning supplies, powder and bullets. Price seems to be reasonable.

I'll probably buy it to play with. But I need to know what I'm getting into.

First off, I think I read here or on another forum that the NEF guns had some kind of spring contraption for holding the primer, and/or there were two types of breech plugs (an original and an improved model). Does anyone know anything about this?

Secondly, does anyone have a feel for what a reasonable price would be for such a gun (assuming very good condition)?
Yep, you need that as much as I needed another Lyman.

Or at least that was what the wife said when the truck pulled up this afternoon. My boy's are home this week for their exam week. One said,"Look Mom! Santa is coming again!!!"

HA
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Busta over on MM is a NEF expert you might pose some questions to him. He also has a rebuilt breech plug for them that keeps them clean. But then you can probably do that yourself.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is that gun the same as the H&R? I don't know much about them, but fwiw a guy I know has the H&R ML and swears its the holy grail. He won't even consider another gun.

Oh, and of course you need it LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I think NEF & H&R are the same.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending upon condition, I would say 200 would be top dollar. 150 would be a bargain if in great shape. There were two sizes of plugs made for those rifles, later models have the smaller diameter plugs but both use the carriers and the plugs are a PIA so far as inserting/removing as a special tool is needed.

Original plugs

Metrics Unlimited makes replacement plugs for either size and the workmanship is excellent by most every account.

Above is a carrierless plug from MU. I believe the contact person there is [email protected]

Photos unknowingly provided by Busta.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you can still order the primer carriers. They are plastic but you can get several shots out of one if you clean them. Another item still sold (I think) is the scope base and hammer extension for your rifle should you want to go that route.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Fork Horn

UC is right about the primer carriers and breech plug , the Metrics Unlimitted plug is a dream come true for that line of ML . Busta did help to design it but you can still find the orange primer carriers on line . The MU plug uses a lowes number 60 O ring which is pretty darn close to blow back free . Ben Hubbard makes a really nice aftermarket ram-rod too should you feel the need for one .

Is the one you are looking at a huntsman or sidekick? Mine, like many others will just plain shoot anything that gets put down the barrel. The trigger on mine is the best trigger I have out of all my guns , just plain sweet.
Steve
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info guys. What's the ballpark cost of the MU plug?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I recall them being right at $30. Might be $35 now. Well worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.