Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Aftermarket sights Q >

Aftermarket sights Q

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Aftermarket sights Q

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Aftermarket sights Q

I have a Lyman .54 Plains rifle and i think the sights are holding me back a little. They cover about a 5 inch circle at 50 yards. They are small enough for hunting but i want something more precise since i do a lot of paper punching too. I do not want a fiber optic front sight. I'm assuming a gun smith would have to do this. Its a flintlock if that has much to do with what i can and cannot have. Could you guys recommend some?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Filing the sight thinner will help. As will using a 6 O'Clock hold.

TOW has sights for it. They're easy to change. Get a brass drift, and tap it out from left to right. Install from right to left.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Filing the sight thinner will help. As will using a 6 O'Clock hold.

TOW has sights for it. They're easy to change. Get a brass drift, and tap it out from left to right. Install from right to left.
thank you. could you post the link? And your saying with a brass drift i can tap out my front sight and slide one back on?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like muley said...6 oclock hold is what I do for open sights when target shooting. (means align your target dot so it is directly on top of your sight - sight is at 6 oclock)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
thank you. could you post the link? And your saying with a brass drift i can tap out my front sight and slide one back on?
Yes, it just slides in and out.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Like muley said...6 oclock hold is what I do for open sights when target shooting. (means align your target dot so it is directly on top of your sight - sight is at 6 oclock)
i never really tried that till yesterday, was hitting low about 5-6 inches consistently at 50 yards, didn't make any adjustments cause i was shooting off elbows. I'll do that next time i'm out there. The range was packed with AR's, AK's, and some FN scars. Had to sit next to some, the concussion was very annoying.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 oclock works very well. My dad is a competition shooter, he taught me that. It takes a little getting used to, and you have to remember it when hunting (and make sure you know where you will hit at your hunting distances with that hold), but it makes it a whole lot easier for targets at a distance.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me, whether target shooting or hunting, it doesn't get any better than a 6 o'clock with a wide flat topped front sight and a rear peep sight.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are hitting low file the top of the front sight until your poi is right over the top edge of the front sight. Be sure to keep it square.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

He shouldn't have to do that. The GPR has an adjustable rear sight.

Unless he put on the primitive sight that comes with the gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.