Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Protecting my muzzleloader >

Protecting my muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Protecting my muzzleloader

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Protecting my muzzleloader

I have a CVA Kodiak that I've had for about 8 years now. Because of conflicts with family and work I haven't been out for two years to use it. Today I pulled it out of the gun safe and was unhappy to find a good amount of rust/corrosion on the action. I ran a patch down the barrel and it came up with a little bit of rust as well.

My fault for not checking more often, but is there a good oil or preservative I can coat the metal with to avoid this from getting worse? It's a good accurate weapon and I don't want to have to replace it any time soon if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Get some J B 's bore paste and follow the directions and swab it out good,that should take care of the rust Then I use EEZOX a bore cleaner and conditioner ,I read about it somewhere and it sounded good I have been using it in all my rifles for like 2 years now and it does a great job.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a fan of Ballistol for rust protection. Here's a test to show how well it works.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...orrosion2.html
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the rust on the action isn't too bad you can use plain gun oil and steel wool to scrub it off. But if it were mine I would remove the stock and soak the breech end in a bucket of kerosene for a day or two. Don't laugh. I did that with a Remington 700 I bought used and the previous owner didn't take care of. The trigger was so rusty that it felt like 2 bricks rubbing together. 3 days of the soak and scrubbed with a toothbrush, degreased and lightly oiled and it was as good as new. (And by the way - it was the wife's toothbrush)
And yes Ballistol is a great rust preventative.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

my only complaint with Ballistol is the stink! After a good cleaning I protect my rifles with Birchwood Casey Sheath a.k.a. Barricade, Breakfree CLP, or Montana Xtreme gun oil. I find all three of them excellent gun oils. Also get in the habit of every three months, check your rifles for rust. Some let them go longer, but then its their rifles, not mine.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another Sheath user.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Fork Horn

Barricade and Ballistol are both great.

Sorry to hear about your rust. Hope it's not pitted....
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

You might want to take a look at Gunzilla. I recently started using it and it works great. I bought mine off of Ebay.

Here's the link to their site:

http://www.gunzilla.us/

Will be swithcing completely after I use up my Shooter's Choice.

Hope this might help.

Paul
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Depending on the safe and location you store them , look at getting a Golden Rod too, it circulates warm air inside the safe . Its almost a must have .

I use Montana Xtreme products, but most stuff on the market will work fine. I check my guns in my safe weekly ,I know its over kill but its a piece of mind. I do try to re-apply oil / clean them every 3-4 months unless they go to the range.Its worked for me , I wish you luck.
Steve
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another EEZOX user. Works great on all my guns. One stop cleaning, protection and lubricant that actually works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.