Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Late Season Buck

Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Late Season Buck

I got out Thurs with the Accura it was still loaded (sans primer) from end of Muzzle season in Dec. We have 3 week special season here on L.I. in NY it is restricted as to availability but I usually get to go out several times a week. So I was in an area I never hunted before and was going on a slow stalking stillhunt after a couple of hours of nothing going on I decided to sit down rest and have some lunch. I found a blow down that still had leaves on it and it really blocked me from anything coming towards me. After a while something made me look to the left and about 40 yds out damn there was a nice buck 8 or 10pt. Well naturally he saw me as I saw him and he took off with several other deer in close pursuit.By the time I got the gun up all I was seeing was asses and elbows hoping they would pause briefly and give me a shot. I stood there cursing myself for not catching sight of them sooner although it would have been hard due to the coverage I was behind. Then I heard but couldnt see what sounded like a stampede coming at me and three what looked like does as they flew by at about 15 feet from me I couldnt believe it again,tehn I thought I heard something stop out in front of the blowdown and damn I thought thank you God. About 25 yds away good sized deer came into view looking spooked I wasnt waiting and let go with the Accura. Deer was hit hard did a 1/4 turn and took off like a shot I saw it crash about 40 yds out alright my 250 gr Deep Curl over 100 gr of BH did its job. I thought its a good doe I found it and damn it was a buck that had already shed ,same thing happened to me late season last year. Oh well more meat for the freezer and that was the 2nd deer for the Accura this season so for the rest of the season its the Disc Elites turn.....
Attached Thumbnails Late Season Buck-get-attachment.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the late season buck. That picture.. is that the entrance or exit hole?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Good shooting. I lived on Long Island for most of my life, but deer hunting (especially with a gun) was never a possibility. Times sure change. I guessing that you hunt way out in Eastern Suffolk County.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Great story thanks for sharing. Congrats to you!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad that was the entrance no exit it tore up the lungs and didnt make it out I lost it in the gut pile and forgot about it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!

The bucks without horns...I hate that. Oh well, good eats!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. That will be good eaten!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulation Gman. Some meat for the freezer. As for shooting a buck without antlers - it happens and so what. If it had them on you would have shot it anyway. And you can't eat em.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.