Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
They say you should never... >

They say you should never...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

They say you should never...

Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default They say you should never...

They say you should "Never look a gift horse in the mouth". Well, I came home from work tonight and my darling Mrs. says to me... "I got you something. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift but I couldn't get it in time". Then after making me hunt the house high and low for where she had hidden it I found a box marked Traditions. Upon opening it I found a brand spikken new Trapper .50 flintlock pistol. Now this gun sure is a beauty but upon closer inspection I found that it's not of the quality I expected. The lock is, for lack of a better term "chintzy" and I thought the frizzen opened quite hard although I know that can be remedied. It also had a substantial enough gap where the frizzen face meets the pan as to allow powder to leak out rather easily I presumed. I fussed for over a half hour trying to get a flint to set square in those tiny jaws and then did not dare tighten it to what I would consider as satisfactory. I gave her a hug and kiss and told her it would be better to take it back and get her hard earned dollars back now than have to send it back later for repairs. Not my intention to offend any of the Traditions fans on here, I just wasn't impressed.

BPS
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a bummer BPS. Return the gun. Keep the wife. She's a winner.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of locks need to be reworked. Leveling the pan,some the frizzen needs rehardened, lock plate polished ect. Too bad,traditions had decent quality at one time. Hope yours isn,t normal but if it was..

Thanks for sharing. Sweet idea on the part of your mrs. Good response on yours.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's a bummer BPS. Return the gun. Keep the wife. She's a winner.
Ditto....Semi that's exactly what i was thinking.

Blackpowdersmoke your a fortunate man.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

BPS that was a nice gesture by your wife and well handled by you. I'mnot sure if Lyman makes a flinter in a pistol but their caplock is really nice. And accurate too. I have one in .54 as a companion to the .54 rifle for PA's early season. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a deer out to 35 or even 40 yds. (after that I would expect the MV to be pretty low).
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

My friend purchased a Kentucky model Traditions horse pistol in percussion. I actually was impressed with the hardware to stock fit. And it shoots really good. I think that day we were shooting it, everyone wanted to shoot it. He did not shoot large charges out of it. But it was surprisingly accurate for a horse pistol. Not as good as my F.L. Pietta, but then his had a very crude sight. Mine had target sights.

Your wife is the kind of woman you just have to appreciate. She knows what your into and tries to match that to you. I would simply replace it with an identical one and ask the store to check them close, or if you have to mail it back... call them and ask them to check the next one close. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not a Traditions fan. You should have asked for the Lyman pistol.

I had one, and it wasn't bad. Gritty trigger, but it was fixable. Same lock as the rifles.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm not a Traditions fan. You should have asked for the Lyman pistol.

I had one, and it wasn't bad. Gritty trigger, but it was fixable. Same lock as the rifles.
X2

Thats a good woman though, You should drop hints at thing you want so her surprises are more accurate!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.