Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I finally found out (i think) >

I finally found out (i think)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I finally found out (i think)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Cabelas isn't showing one, because they're probably out of stock.

Your gun is a bit confusing. The Lyman version uses a 28" barrel. The Cabelas is 29" which you have. The patch box is a Cabelas deal. I'm not sure what you have, but it's not a plains rifle.

The plains rifle was a style of gun. Hawken made a plains style gun. As did others. You don't have that style.
maybe im measuring the barrel wrong. I took it off an measured the whole barrel except the hook where it connects to the stock. I don't know the term but i think im including the breech? where the powder sits and there is no rifling. if i didn't include that it would be 28"
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, you measured the breech too. Ok, that makes sense now.

I'm guessing a trade rifle that someone put a big patch box on it. Unless one was offered at some time. A call to Lyman might get you the answer.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Spike

Default plains(not great plains) rifle

Your gun definitely is a lyman plains rifle.I have one in 54 made in 1977.It has 1 wedge and a different patch box than the GREAT plains rifle.The barrel will interchange with the trade rifle,or so I've been told by others who I do trust.A super rifle just a little older than the great plains.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stude 283
Your gun definitely is a lyman plains rifle.I have one in 54 made in 1977.It has 1 wedge and a different patch box than the GREAT plains rifle.The barrel will interchange with the trade rifle,or so I've been told by others who I do trust.A super rifle just a little older than the great plains.
What do you think makes it a plains rifle compared to the trade rifle?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?tid/263905/

that is where i got my info from, mine looks identical.

close serial numbers too

mine is 71775
that guys- 71794

Last edited by huntingkidPA; 01-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ah ok. That looks like what it is. I never saw one before.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can determine the twist using a tight fitting patch on a jag. Be sure to use a rod handle that allows the rod to rotate. Insert the rod/tightly patched jag fully, then put a mark on the rod right where it exits the barrel (a vertical line would be best). Slowly remove the rod from the bore and watch the rod rotate. Estimate the amount of rotation of the rod (example - 1/2 of a full revolution). Measure the length of rod you had inserted between your reference mark and the end of the jag.

If you withdrew the rod 32" and the rod turned 1/2 revolution - your twist is 1:64 or very close.

Length of rod divided by fractional number of revolutions turned.

Edit: I suppose you would need to subtract the section that isn't rifled from the length of rod.

Last edited by Underclocked; 01-01-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
thank you cayugad, so this is a trade rifle? or at least can i call it that haha
Looking at the barrel.. I would guess it is a Trade Rifle barrel. That means it has a 1-48 twist. My .54 Flintlock shoots a .535 roundball with 90 grains of 2f black powder very very well. It also shoots Powerbelts 405 grain .54 caliber. And my .50 caliber Trade Rifle shoots sabots real good.

So you can call it a Trade Rifle, but with all that brass I might be called a Hawken rifle also. Or you could call it ... "Bob." It is still a fine rifle.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Looking at the barrel.. I would guess it is a Trade Rifle barrel. That means it has a 1-48 twist. My .54 Flintlock shoots a .535 roundball with 90 grains of 2f black powder very very well. It also shoots Powerbelts 405 grain .54 caliber. And my .50 caliber Trade Rifle shoots sabots real good.

So you can call it a Trade Rifle, but with all that brass I might be called a Hawken rifle also. Or you could call it ... "Bob." It is still a fine rifle.
You need to read the other posts. It's been identified.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Muley I did not see his link. But did see a question he asked me and thought it might be rude not to answer. So I am glad it was discovered what model it is. I had never seen a "Plains Rifle" but I would still guess it shoots well with a .535 roundball and around 90 grains of powder. At least that is where I would be looking.. if the Plains Rifle was mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.