Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I finally found out (i think) >

I finally found out (i think)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I finally found out (i think)

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default I finally found out (i think)

Ok.. So my lyman .54 "trade rifle" is actually a lyman plains rifle, not the great plains rifle. I've had so many conflicting ideas on what it was. My dad bought it off a private seller in the 90's who didn't know the exact model. He just said it was a lyman.

I've had people tell me at the range it was a trade rifle, then i'd have other people tell me it was a GPR. I tried multiple times to do research on it and find out what exact model it was. It looked like a trade rifle except for the brass on the stock, which holds cleaning gear.

Today i decided to try to find more about it. I found a forum where someone posted a pic to help identify it. Everyone said it was a plains rifle. It was before the GPR and is now discontinued they said. I can't find hardly any specs on it. I would like to know the twist rate on it. I've been shooting PRB (90 gr 2f goex) out of it and it will hold baseball size groups at 50.

is this a plains rifle? It says nothing on the barrel except

-.54 cal
-BP only
-made in italy
- serial number is 71775
- LYMAN~MIDDLEFIELD.CONN
Attached Thumbnails I finally found out (i think)-0101131344a.jpg   I finally found out (i think)-0101131344.jpg   I finally found out (i think)-0101131343b.jpg   I finally found out (i think)-0101131343a.jpg   I finally found out (i think)-0101131343.jpg  

Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would think a plains rifle would have two wedges.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I would think a plains rifle would have two wedges.
hmm. do you know what model is i then?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like the Lyman Trade rifle, and the Cabelas Hawken with a nicer patch box.

How long is the barrel?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

the barrel is 29 inches
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just like the Cabelas.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

could you post a link to it
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

If the barrel says Lymans it is an old trade rifle as the new Trade Rifles have no brass hardware in the stock. It is not a great plains rifle. The Great Plains Rifle has two wedge pins, never used brass and also have a 32 inch barrel. The Trade Rifle has a 28 inch barrel. Also the GPR and old one mind you, has a 1-66 twist. The Trade Rifle has a 1-48 twist. That is an old rifle. But what throws me the curve is... the double trigger. The GPR has a double trigger while the Trade Rifle has a single hunting trigger. I almost wonder if that is not a Cabela's Hawken stock and trigger with a Lyman Trade Rifle barrel in it. Same company, interchanging parts. So that really would be my guess.

Someone purchased a Cabela's Hawken which has the brass hardware, and the double trigger. And then might have picked up a Trade Rifle barrel and put that in the stock. Either way, that is a very nice rifle.

That is my Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle Flintlock.

That is a .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-66 twist.

That is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in flintlock. The difference between the Great Plains Rifle and the Great Plains Hunter is the barrel.

that one is a newer Great Plains Rifle in Flintlock. I think that is the .50 caliber model and not the .54 caliber.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

thank you cayugad, so this is a trade rifle? or at least can i call it that haha

Last edited by huntingkidPA; 01-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
could you post a link to it
Cabelas isn't showing one, because they're probably out of stock.

Your gun is a bit confusing. The Lyman version uses a 28" barrel. The Cabelas is 29" which you have. The patch box is a Cabelas deal. I'm not sure what you have, but it's not a plains rifle.

The plains rifle was a style of gun. Hawken made a plains style gun. As did others. You don't have that style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.