Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Soooooo close

Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Soooooo close

Got out this afternoon with the Lyman flintlock. About 5" of new snow. Still hunting through the woods I had gone about 300 yds. I was easing up a small rise from an old railroad bed which has a stream on the other side. I was far enough up the incline that I could see the other side. There at an estimated 70 yds were 3 deer lying in their beds. Two looking right at me the other facing away. The two on either side had some brush obscuring their vitals but the center one was right in a good shooting lane. I cocked the hammer on the Lyman .54 and shouldered it at the same time grabbing a 2" sapling for support - resting the forearm on my thumb. I pulled the set trigger and settled the sights just behnd the big old doe's shoulder. Waited until the sight picture was dead solid and squeezed the front trigger. That's when I heard the sound a flintlock user hates to hear. The dreaded Pfffft -the sound of only the pan charge going off. They watched as I reprimed the pan and as soon as I closed the frizzen the got to their feet and trotted off. Not really sure what they just experienced!
I don't know what happened. I took every precaution I can think of. My flash hole was clean and open (Even put a paper clip in the flash hole prior to charging the barel.) The only thing I can think is that there may have been a tiny bit of oil in the breech that fouled the main charge enough. It went off fine at the end of the day so I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning with hot water. I now have it setting on a cloth, muzzle down.
Will give it another go on Saturday.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Makes me sorry not to be out with a flinter still! Sure you know what your doin. Took awhile for me to learn.
I would be lecturing rifle, klackwhoosh!
Thanks for sharing. Good job of still hunting! You had them.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if it matters but I never plug the touch hole when dropping the main charge down the barrel...I put the main charge down and give it a couple raps on the side with my hand to settle the powder into the touch hole...I want the main charge as close to the pan prime as I can...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck bronko! Try and enjoy your time out, maybe you'll get one Saturday.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

There are so many things that can make a pan go off and not the main charge. But that's exciting. Sounds like a good stalk. And at least you don't have to drag that deer back and butcher it. Always a good side to everything. Bad side is you did not have to drag the deer back and butcher it.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mono - I think I know what I'm doing. I've been doing it since the early 70s.
Your're right Cayugad. I would have had to walk back to my truck, drive about 2 miles down the road and over the bridge. Then walk all the way to the blood trail/deer then drag it out. I may still be out there instead of sitting here on the sofa with the laptop and watching LSU-Clemson.
I was feeling bummed due to recent events and didn't even feel like going out. But seeing those deer and getting so close got my blood pumping and rekindled the fire.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-31-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, for some reason you seemed to have angered third major god of muzzleloading. The best way to appease her is to load your flintlock with a blank load and fire it upside down (yes, it does work).

NOTE FOR NEWER FORUM MEMBERS: Subsequent to the original publication of a list of ten gods many years ago, forum members identified numerous other minor gods. All of them are pesky critters.

CAUTION - Do not utter the name of any of the malicious gods aloud while on the range or in the field with a gun.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I never had a misfire with my flinter if I do the following
I run a alcohol patch down the Bore
I remove the vent liner and clean again alcohol on a Q tip the liner and the vent in the barrel threads
I always use a new flint Black english
I dry patch the ball no lube
alcohol wipe the flint
I use a .070 vent liner and a Lyman frizzen on my t/c locks
I will make it a habit never to use a flint that strikes the frizzen again in the field for a first time out ,the strike flint goes in my box for range use only
I did like the story always great hunting in the snow
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Bronko,maybe it was just meant to be exciting. Those are good semisane.
My favorite ooops,(no brown bear hunt for me !)was at a shoot with a caplock.
Had split ball on axe head before and broke both clay pigeons,this time cap fired but no boom.
Tried again to no avail.(3 hammer drops and out per rules)pulled nipple and trickled a little fine powder in. Through my ear plugs i could hear powder hitting the dry leaves.

Last edited by monoped; 12-31-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Monoped, I think that's caused by the little know god Fagottaload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.